The Resource For Musicals

Gypsy Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Best Herbie? 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Best Herbie?
We've had discussions dealing with 'Best Rose' or 'Best Louise', but what about the show's male lead: Who was the best Herbie? I can only speak for the film and telefilm versions personally, and the Herbies in those versions were far from exceptional. Peter Riegert gave a performance that you would expect from Peter Riegert; completely passionless and disinterested, he acted like he had ADD the whole movie. Karl Malden was slightly better; you could kind of see his feelings for Rose and his inner workings, but considering that Malden was one of our best actors and always gave 110%, it could have been a lot better. So, feel free to explore some of the various stage Herbies, as well as the ones from the two film versions.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Sun May 02, 2010 10:23 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Many
Main Role: Fan
Boyd Gaines won a Tony for his performance in the 2008 revival; pretty good indicator to me of how well he did.

Sun May 02, 2010 7:43 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Karl Malden's Herbie was the weak man that Rose could act as a parasite off of. Boyd Gaines had a rougher quality to him. Where Karl would often come across as begging and pathetic, Boyd would come across as dangerous, even sometimes threatening.

Very tightly, very soon.
So wave one bachelor goodbye,
She'll be your bride- she'd rather die
Than have her daddy ossify
In my sordid saloon..."

Mon May 03, 2010 5:49 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
Karl Malden is by far the finest herbie I have seen.,.and I saw laot. his final scene with Rose is just HEARTBREAKING.

i didnt care for Gaine, I am sure Jack Klugman was probably just as great as Malden. you need the everyman, low key type for herbie that life trampled on over and over. Malden and Klugman were the only 2 that had that.

that said i like alot of what Barry Ingham does on the London recoding. I really disliked Gaines take, and Johnanthan hadary, although charming was too flashy for the role by far.

Mon May 03, 2010 6:03 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]