The Resource For Musicals

Gypsy Forum

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Leigh Ann Larkin as June 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

That just sounds stupid. I've seen Leigh Ann Larkin's performance twice and I thought it was good. I can't believe you hate someone for developing a character too well. That's almost as dumb as hating someone because they sing too fast. lol

Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:09 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

That just sounds stupid. I've seen Leigh Ann Larkin's performance twice and I thought it was good. I can't believe you hate someone for developing a character too well. That's almost as dumb as hating someone because they sing too fast. lol

what? that makes absolutely no sense it is entirely possible too fast it's called rushing and it sounds awful!!! that was a terrible analogy.

and i don't hate her for developing a character too well... first of all there is no such thing as too well no one can do anything too well there is always room for improvement in anything anybody does... and second i never said i hate her i just don't like her june, i have absolutely nothing personal against her she never did anything to me. read things more carefully before you make comments it sounds like you don't read over what you write before you post.

Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:30 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Jman383 wrote:
Well that's fine, we can agree to disagree, but I still don't think your stage time comment was relevent. A character can be on stage for 5 minutes, and they can be the most developed character in the whole show. Time doesn't matter. As someone said, in Les Mis very few characters are on for more than 30 minutes, yet those same characters remain highly developed and very complex.

Also, about her vibratto, the only 'fake' vibratto she does is on the "Broadway" section of June and her Farmboys, and it's suppose to be like that. But hey, that's just the way I see it.

ok i see why my stage time comment isn't as clear as i see it. what i mean to say is that it seems that she takes the character so deep and then doesn't finnish it. and finishing it isn't her problem because she didn't write the script. i just get from her performance that it's like in her first 30 minuets she behaves in a specific way and then only by the fault of the script she disappears b4 she can take the character full circle (in wut would be the second half of her character's time on the stage) that's wut i mean by she goes way too deep for such a smally written character(and by smally i mean in the grand scheme of the show itself) she goes very deep and then her character disappears b4 the first act is even over... to me its almost like she plays half the character and then goes away b4 she is able to finish it...

nd ur right u could be on the stage 5 minuets and be the most emotionally developed character on the stage but to do that successfully u need to convey in that 5 minuets who ur character is why they are the way they are and answer any lingering questions an audience member might have. but june isn't written that way, june is written as a foundation character who's main job is really to further enhance Rose and Louises' story in the long run. by act 2 u almost forget she was even in the show. LAL plays it in such a way that u almost think she'll be back later in the show to close her character and answer any questions, but she never does so it just seems like she isn't given the amount of time needed to finish that character she started... i hope that makes sense.

and her vibrato is false all over the show it's like Josh Groban false... there is absolutely nothing natural about it... nd i know that the false one in "broadway" is deliberately done that way, but her vibrato elsewhere is voluntary and a natural vibrato isn't or at least doesn't sound like it is and hers definitely sounds like it is.

I'm just curious. What questions didn't her June answer for you? She explained that character better to me than any June I've seen before. I knew exactly why she was that way, how she became that way, what her goals and intentions were for each line, and had me more interested in her seemlingly pointless role than I ever had before. I dunno, as an audience member, she had me more interested in June than ever before. I found myself completely fascinated by her back story, her character arc, her likes/dislikes etc, I dunno, I just really loved it.

Also, I hate to disagree, but her vibratto isn't fake in "If Mama Was Married" aka the only other song she really sings besides Dainty June and her Farmboys. I think her vocals on that song (on the first that is) are perfection, but that's just me.

Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:32 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Ffinnegan223 wrote:
Jman383 wrote:
Well that's fine, we can agree to disagree, but I still don't think your stage time comment was relevent. A character can be on stage for 5 minutes, and they can be the most developed character in the whole show. Time doesn't matter. As someone said, in Les Mis very few characters are on for more than 30 minutes, yet those same characters remain highly developed and very complex.

Also, about her vibratto, the only 'fake' vibratto she does is on the "Broadway" section of June and her Farmboys, and it's suppose to be like that. But hey, that's just the way I see it.

ok i see why my stage time comment isn't as clear as i see it. what i mean to say is that it seems that she takes the character so deep and then doesn't finnish it. and finishing it isn't her problem because she didn't write the script. i just get from her performance that it's like in her first 30 minuets she behaves in a specific way and then only by the fault of the script she disappears b4 she can take the character full circle (in wut would be the second half of her character's time on the stage) that's wut i mean by she goes way too deep for such a smally written character(and by smally i mean in the grand scheme of the show itself) she goes very deep and then her character disappears b4 the first act is even over... to me its almost like she plays half the character and then goes away b4 she is able to finish it...

nd ur right u could be on the stage 5 minuets and be the most emotionally developed character on the stage but to do that successfully u need to convey in that 5 minuets who ur character is why they are the way they are and answer any lingering questions an audience member might have. but june isn't written that way, june is written as a foundation character who's main job is really to further enhance Rose and Louises' story in the long run. by act 2 u almost forget she was even in the show. LAL plays it in such a way that u almost think she'll be back later in the show to close her character and answer any questions, but she never does so it just seems like she isn't given the amount of time needed to finish that character she started... i hope that makes sense.

and her vibrato is false all over the show it's like Josh Groban false... there is absolutely nothing natural about it... nd i know that the false one in "broadway" is deliberately done that way, but her vibrato elsewhere is voluntary and a natural vibrato isn't or at least doesn't sound like it is and hers definitely sounds like it is.

I'm just curious. What questions didn't her June answer for you? She explained that character better to me than any June I've seen before. I knew exactly why she was that way, how she became that way, what her goals and intentions were for each line, and had me more interested in her seemlingly pointless role than I ever had before. I dunno, as an audience member, she had me more interested in June than ever before. I found myself completely fascinated by her back story, her character arc, her likes/dislikes etc, I dunno, I just really loved it.

Also, I hate to disagree, but her vibratto isn't fake in "If Mama Was Married" aka the only other song she really sings besides Dainty June and her Farmboys. I think her vocals on that song (on the first that is) are perfection, but that's just me.

Fair enough... but she didn't really leave me w/ specific questions she just kind of left me w/ a "hugh why?" as to why she chose to do it that way and that might also be because i have seen it many different times by different people and hers was the only one that was that different and i just didn't see the difference in a good way... it just kinda seemed to me like it was too much for a role that doesn't necessarily call for such a dramatic portrayal... and she is the one on broadway so i get that i might be very alone in my opinion but, but it's my opinion and unless i see it one more time b4 she is done and really understand her it won't change.

Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:18 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Isn't it the point that Louise and June be distant? I mean, she says "Do you ever feel like you don't have a sister?" And it seems reasonable to me that trying-to-be-grown-up June would at least pretend to be disdainful of her simple-minded, far too kindly older sister.

I`ve been waitin` for the light to shine...

Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:36 pm

Isn't it the point that Louise and June be distant? I mean, she says "Do you ever feel like you don't have a sister?" And it seems reasonable to me that trying-to-be-grown-up June would at least pretend to be disdainful of her simple-minded, far too kindly older sister.

Yes. Exactly. I think the poster is just arguing that Larkin took it too far or something. I don't agree, obviously, lol, but that's just me.

Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:56 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I admit I didn’t completely love Leigh Ann’s June the first time I saw it. There were some things I liked, some things I didn’t like. It wasn’t until my second viewing where I truly understood and appreciated her interpretation. (I’ve seen it 4 times total and have loved her more and more each time).

June is supposed to be bored and sick of the act, the way her mom dresses her, etc. And that’s exactly how Leigh Ann acts. I love how there’s such a gap between her “June” and “Dainty June.” And I love her sarcastic attitude. It’s heartbreaking how these sisters are alienated from each other because of their mother. Leigh Ann and Laura do a great job at portraying this.

Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:54 am

I admit I didn’t completely love Leigh Ann’s June the first time I saw it. There were some things I liked, some things I didn’t like. It wasn’t until my second viewing where I truly understood and appreciated her interpretation. (I’ve seen it 4 times total and have loved her more and more each time).

June is supposed to be bored and sick of the act, the way her mom dresses her, etc. And that’s exactly how Leigh Ann acts. I love how there’s such a gap between her “June” and “Dainty June.” And I love her sarcastic attitude. It’s heartbreaking how these sisters are alienated from each other because of their mother. Leigh Ann and Laura do a great job at portraying this.

I know, I completely agree. I've seen this production three times and each time she got better and better for me. And yeah, the contrast is amazing. Not to sound obsessed, but we were asked to write a paper for my acting class on a Broadway performance, and since it was the last show I had seen, and the paper couldnt be too too long (thus opting out Benanti and LuPone) I did it on Larkin and her choices as an actress. Ugh, she's just soo good. Sorry, I'll stop now, I'm sure I sound silly.

Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:40 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2