The Resource For Musicals

Gypsy Forum

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Leigh Ann Larkin as June 
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post Leigh Ann Larkin as June
does her voice and interpretation of the character bother anyone else?

Her vibrato is soooo nagging and fake it makes me cringe!

and i think the "I'm a bitch" attitude, while appropriate here and there, is wrong in parts like when she is giving june her sewing basket for her b-day. LAL gives it to her like Louise should be grateful that june is even talking to her. i much prefer when june treats louise like she is her sister. even in the office after the audition "when mama was married" she very distant and not in a i resent u for not getting half of the attention more like i'm better than u and u know it... it's really off putting and i end up being very happy when her character is gone. i saw it twice and both times i left w/ the same bitter taste in my mouth. I much prefer Kate Reinders' june to LAL's

what bout u?

Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:34 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I liked LAL in the role. Her interpretation is a darker version, which was interesting and unique from other people that have played her. But she and Louise did seem sorta distant.

-Equus (July 1st)
-The Rocky Horror Show (August 15-16th)

beads. flowers. freedom. happiness. <3 <3 <3

Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:31 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

yea i think the distance was the major thig that bothered me... i mean yea ok her character can be a bitch but at heart ur still her sister soooo i really just didn't like her or her singing voice... the only part of the whole show that i could have done without...

Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:39 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

i saw the show for the third time last night, and my date actually despised LAL's interpretation, whilst I, as always, adored it. What he claimed was that she (LAL that is) acted much too old for the role and that instead of being a teenager, was ready for a cigarette and a cocktail. My whole take on it, was that was the point.

Kids put in showbiz too early grow up way too fast. Look at any of the stars from that era... Judy Garland is a prime example.

LAL's interpreatation was something I can actually quite relate to with my sisters. She was distant yes, but not because she resented Louise, but because she didn't know how else to act towards her. The birthday present scene, the bitchiness LAL gave, was not because she was bitter or distant towards Louise, but, instead, the way I took it, was because she was PISSED she wasn't in the spotlight for that second, and also because in all honesty, she just wanted to sleep. Bitchy, yes, but still, it makes total sense. She was a primadonna.

As for the 'If Mama Was Married' I get chills EVERY TIME LAL grabs Benanti's hand at the end. The way I take it is that LAL's June doesn't know how to love her sister... she doesn't even really know her. She just knows what her mother has told her... she's better than her. When she grabs Benanti's hand at the very end, it signifies that June has finally accepted Louise and recognized her as her equal, and someone she has something in common with. In essence, she grew up a little bit in that split second.

So basically, I'm rambling, but what I'm trying to say is that I, as an audience member, understood every choice she made, and loved her interpretation. As an above poster wrote, she was dark, bitter, cold, distant, miserable, and I loved it. It was real. She brought a depth to June no one ever has, and, beyond that, her vocals on "If Mama Was Married" are far superior to any other girl I've ever heard on that top harmony... ESPECIALLY that blasphemy Kate Reinders... but that's an entirely different story.

Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:49 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Okay, here's the thing.

i saw the show for the third time last night, and my date actually despised LAL's interpretation, whilst I, as always, adored it. What he claimed was that she (LAL that is) acted much too old for the role and that instead of being a teenager, was ready for a cigarette and a cocktail. My whole take on it, was that was the point.

Kids put in showbiz too early grow up way too fast. Look at any of the stars from that era... Judy Garland is a prime example.

LAL's interpreatation was something I can actually quite relate to with my sisters. She was distant yes, but not because she resented Louise, but because she didn't know how else to act towards her. The birthday present scene, the bitchiness LAL gave, was not because she was bitter or distant towards Louise, but, instead, the way I took it, was because she was PISSED she wasn't in the spotlight for that second, and also because in all honesty, she just wanted to sleep. Bitchy, yes, but still, it makes total sense. She was a primadonna.

As for the 'If Mama Was Married' I get chills EVERY TIME LAL grabs Benanti's hand at the end. The way I take it is that LAL's June doesn't know how to love her sister... she doesn't even really know her. She just knows what her mother has told her... she's better than her. When she grabs Benanti's hand at the very end, it signifies that June has finally accepted Louise and recognized her as her equal, and someone she has something in common with. In essence, she grew up a little bit in that split second.

So basically, I'm rambling, but what I'm trying to say is that I, as an audience member, understood every choice she made, and loved her interpretation. As an above poster wrote, she was dark, bitter, cold, distant, miserable, and I loved it. It was real. She brought a depth to June no one ever has, and, beyond that, her vocals on "If Mama Was Married" are far superior to any other girl I've ever heard on that top harmony... ESPECIALLY that blasphemy Kate Reinders... but that's an entirely different story.

i think my huge problem w/ her vocals is her absolutely horrendous false vibrato. it's so obnoxious i really just want to put a bullet through her head when ever she goes into wut she considers her strong singing. when she is not using it however i have no problem w/ her voice...

now as far as her character is concerned you may have responded to it that way but untill u explained it to me the way u interpreted it i took nothing from it but "i'm just a big bitch nd i hate my sister" (speaking generally that is). and i just don't respond to that kind of june. especially if the character needs to be explained at all, now i have seen it performed in a more (bonded to louise as a sister because they both suffer due to rose and her choices in parenting them).

LAL's deep portrayal of June while ok to some audiences to me is almost unnecessary cuz she is only onstage for about 30 minuets cumulatively. it just seems too deep to take a role that u really never see that often and for the most part isn't there later to really answer your questions as to why u approached the character the way u did. she develops this emotionally troubled character and then disappears for the rest of the show. i feel it's almost like if a actor playing boq in wicked played it with the deep issue that he only wants to be w/ glinda because that intern would keep him as close to Fiyero as possible cuz he's really in love w/ him, even though he know he knows Fiyero will never return his feelings but this is the only way he can be as close to him as he can... but he never actually says that out loud... for a character that small in the grand scheme of the story it's just a little too deep to dive. IMO... but u have yours and thats fine...

i also love Kate's june... she's not my favorite but i loved it... however i also loved Tammy's Louise more than Laura's now i love laura's but i prefer tammy's but NOOOO i do not like Bernadette's more than Patti's lol Patti wins for me... I liked BP's but it doesn't even come close to patti for me...lol

Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:00 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

but i do agree w/ ur she grew up way too fast part... i feel that is more than appropriate for the character. in fact it adds just a little hummer to it that i fell it kind of needs... ur right on the whole "thats the point" not saying ur wrong else-wear just saying that i pretty much disagree w/ most of ur other reaction...

Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:06 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

What does stage time have anything to do with how deep a character is?

In Les Mis, with the exception of Valjean and Marius, nobody is onstage for more than 25 minutes and yet they all have great depth. The same thing holds true with characters who have short stage times in Company, Assassins, South Pacific, and even Wicked.

I like Kate Reinders June a lot better than Leigh Ann Larkin's. However, LAL is so cute and sweet in real life that it's really hard for me to hate her performance.

Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:35 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

What does stage time have anything to do with how deep a character is?

In Les Mis, with the exception of Valjean and Marius, nobody is onstage for more than 25 minutes and yet they all have great depth.

I like Kate Reinders June a lot better than Leigh Ann Larkin's. However, LAL is so cute and sweet in real life that it's really hard for me to hate her performance.

well the stage time issue for me is that while her acting is good, she takes the character in such a way that it's almost like she plays 70% of the role and then since she leaves so early in the show it's like she plays 70% and then isn't there for the other 30% to explain y she did that 70% that way. june isn't written in a way that some of the characters are in les miz. wut i meant is LAL goes way too deep and then disappears the only closure u get is that she ran off w/ tulsa so wut i mean to say is that if june was in the rest of the show then ok but since she isn't in the entire first act she gets way too complicated for such a small character. and it comes off a number of different ways and that's not always the best.

Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:55 pm

Well if you disagree with me, perhaps you disagree with Arthur Laurents as well. This is from when Larkin first met and auditioned for him and his comments on her portrayal:

'Larkin first met Gypsy's legendary librettist Arthur Laurents at her audition for last summer's Encores! production of the show, which he was directing—and it did not go well. “I didn't know the show,” she admits, “and Arthur is the kind of director who knows exactly what he wants. At first he was not pleased with me at all,” she says with an all's-well-that-ends-well giggle. “He said, ‘You're too emotional; June is bored, she's over it.' Then he turned to someone at the table and said, ‘She couldn't take direction if she was paid.'” Turns out Laurents was just trying to elicit a strong performance from an actress he secretly liked. It worked: After Larkin plowed through an entire number, the 89-year-old director said, “That's what I wanted,” adding on the first day of rehearsal, “Where have you been all my life?” And the lovefest continues. “Arthur is the warmest, most amazing, most brilliant human being I've ever met,” Larkin says now.'

And for the record... I hated Kate Reinders as June, if you couldn't already tell. And what's worse is I have a cd to remember how awful her vocals were as well.

Oh and also, your comment about stage time makes absolutely no sense. Just because she's on stage for 30 minutes doesnt mean she should just throw her character away. That's ridiculous. Furthermore, you mentioned that why would she just develop it and then run away? That's the WHOLE point of the character. She runs away to try and prove how grown up she really is and also, in an obvious manner, because she HATES her home life. Lastly, you mentioned you got no vibe of the sisters bonding during 'If Mama Was Married'. I honestly don't see how that's possible as it's probably the most honest, genuine version of the song. In fact, as I may have mentioned before, when Larkin grabs Benanti's hand at the very end, it's ---- brilliant.

Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:59 am
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Well if you disagree with me, perhaps you disagree with Arthur Laurents as well. This is from when Larkin first met and auditioned for him and his comments on her portrayal:

'Larkin first met Gypsy's legendary librettist Arthur Laurents at her audition for last summer's Encores! production of the show, which he was directing—and it did not go well. “I didn't know the show,” she admits, “and Arthur is the kind of director who knows exactly what he wants. At first he was not pleased with me at all,” she says with an all's-well-that-ends-well giggle. “He said, ‘You're too emotional; June is bored, she's over it.' Then he turned to someone at the table and said, ‘She couldn't take direction if she was paid.'” Turns out Laurents was just trying to elicit a strong performance from an actress he secretly liked. It worked: After Larkin plowed through an entire number, the 89-year-old director said, “That's what I wanted,” adding on the first day of rehearsal, “Where have you been all my life?” And the lovefest continues. “Arthur is the warmest, most amazing, most brilliant human being I've ever met,” Larkin says now.'

And for the record... I hated Kate Reinders as June, if you couldn't already tell. And what's worse is I have a cd to remember how awful her vocals were as well.

Oh and also, your comment about stage time makes absolutely no sense. Just because she's on stage for 30 minutes doesnt mean she should just throw her character away. That's ridiculous. Furthermore, you mentioned that why would she just develop it and then run away? That's the WHOLE point of the character. She runs away to try and prove how grown up she really is and also, in an obvious manner, because she HATES her home life. Lastly, you mentioned you got no vibe of the sisters bonding during 'If Mama Was Married'. I honestly don't see how that's possible as it's probably the most honest, genuine version of the song. In fact, as I may have mentioned before, when Larkin grabs Benanti's hand at the very end, it's ---- brilliant.

this is all well and good but just because Arthur Laurents says she is perfect is not going to change my mind. nd i know the show very well i understand thats why she ran away... i just happen to think that her june is terrible u didn't like Kate, i did we are obviously not going to agree on this and i happen to think that the stage time comment i made makes complete sense, maybe you should read it again it's pretty clear. i just feel that if her acting decisions needed to be explained at all, there could something wrong, not there definitely is but there could be. if there definitely was u wouldn't like her either so she has to be doing something rite. what i'm saying is i have seen it performed a number of different ways and hers was the only one that made me go "mmm I don't get it." and just cuz AL directed her doesn't make her any more right then another actresses performance, u just liked and responded to hers more than i did...

Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:38 pm

Well that's fine, we can agree to disagree, but I still don't think your stage time comment was relevent. A character can be on stage for 5 minutes, and they can be the most developed character in the whole show. Time doesn't matter. As someone said, in Les Mis very few characters are on for more than 30 minutes, yet those same characters remain highly developed and very complex.

Also, about her vibratto, the only 'fake' vibratto she does is on the "Broadway" section of June and her Farmboys, and it's suppose to be like that. But hey, that's just the way I see it.

Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:49 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Well that's fine, we can agree to disagree, but I still don't think your stage time comment was relevent. A character can be on stage for 5 minutes, and they can be the most developed character in the whole show. Time doesn't matter. As someone said, in Les Mis very few characters are on for more than 30 minutes, yet those same characters remain highly developed and very complex.

Also, about her vibratto, the only 'fake' vibratto she does is on the "Broadway" section of June and her Farmboys, and it's suppose to be like that. But hey, that's just the way I see it.

ok i see why my stage time comment isn't as clear as i see it. what i mean to say is that it seems that she takes the character so deep and then doesn't finnish it. and finishing it isn't her problem because she didn't write the script. i just get from her performance that it's like in her first 30 minuets she behaves in a specific way and then only by the fault of the script she disappears b4 she can take the character full circle (in wut would be the second half of her character's time on the stage) that's wut i mean by she goes way too deep for such a smally written character(and by smally i mean in the grand scheme of the show itself) she goes very deep and then her character disappears b4 the first act is even over... to me its almost like she plays half the character and then goes away b4 she is able to finish it...

nd ur right u could be on the stage 5 minuets and be the most emotionally developed character on the stage but to do that successfully u need to convey in that 5 minuets who ur character is why they are the way they are and answer any lingering questions an audience member might have. but june isn't written that way, june is written as a foundation character who's main job is really to further enhance Rose and Louises' story in the long run. by act 2 u almost forget she was even in the show. LAL plays it in such a way that u almost think she'll be back later in the show to close her character and answer any questions, but she never does so it just seems like she isn't given the amount of time needed to finish that character she started... i hope that makes sense.

and her vibrato is false all over the show it's like Josh Groban false... there is absolutely nothing natural about it... nd i know that the false one in "broadway" is deliberately done that way, but her vibrato elsewhere is voluntary and a natural vibrato isn't or at least doesn't sound like it is and hers definitely sounds like it is.

Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next