Gypsy Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
MAJOR help! 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Other...
Post MAJOR help!
Okay, I have this HUGEEE problem.

I have Gypsy audition on Monday. I know the song, I'm working on the scene, no big deal, right?

Well, the problem is the song because my sister does a PHENOMENAL job with it and she's only a freshman. Like, she blew away everyone today at the mock audition. She hasn't worked on the song really at all.

Me on the other hand-worked on some of the songs all summer, watched the movie, did research on the show, everything. I can put a lot of acting wise into the song, but I'm afraid my sister is doing to do the same.

My question is-

Is Mama Rose typed or does it depend on the director? The reason I ask is because I'm more the body type, except my sister looks older, however she is robust, to be modest.

i'm almost at the point of saying she can't audition because I have a strange feeling she may end up as Mama Rose, and she def. does not deserve it, in my opinion.

yes, I will admit I am a green-eyed monster but that's because she's done theatre only since eighth grade and she's amazaing and i've been working my tail off since sixth grade and barely been any good parts (she was a principle part in the musicial).

I seriously don't know what to do....

help?

Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:50 pm
Profile WWW

To be frank, chances are if your director chose to do Gypsy he already has a Rose in mind and little is going to change his/her mind.

NOW, if they are a "fair" director they will have a few people in mind and will be just with his/her discision.

So, no matter what just give it your best. There's nothing more you can really do at an audition. If you do everything you can/should and still don't get the part then it just wasn't ment to be.

I wouldn't discourage your sister from auditioning.

Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:56 pm

To be frank, chances are if your director chose to do Gypsy he already has a Rose in mind and little is going to change his/her mind.

NOW, if they are a "fair" director they will have a few people in mind and will be just with his/her discision.

So, no matter what just give it your best. There's nothing more you can really do at an audition. If you do everything you can/should and still don't get the part then it just wasn't ment to be.

That's true. He has loved the show since he was 13 years old/it has been his dream to direct this show.

Thanks!

Any other input? I just watched part of the movie again and realized although I really want to be Mama Rose, now I would rather be Louise...but I'd be happy with any part, as long as my sister doesn't beat me for a higher part.

Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:31 pm
Profile WWW

Sweeney Hyde wrote:

That's true. He has loved the show since he was 13 years old/it has been his dream to direct this show.

Thanks!

Any other input? I just watched part of the movie again and realized although I really want to be Mama Rose, now I would rather be Louise...but I'd be happy with any part, as long as my sister doesn't beat me for a higher part.
Don't think of it as a higher part. Because that's not what it is necissarily. You will be cast for what the director thinks will suit you.

Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:41 pm

one of the directors and i (vocal director, I think) talked...it's all good now.

Thanks though:)

Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:28 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]