The Resource For Musicals

Gypsy Forum

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
gypsy characters that can have a sex change! 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post gypsy characters that can have a sex change!
hi. ok, i am having auditions this week and very excited! as usual i am at a shortage of boys, so i'm wondering in previous performances have you seen male charaters turned in to female ones or played by females?

thanks!

Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:22 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

When we did this show in high school, they had the landlord in the hotel scene (Kringlein) and Mr. Goldstone both played by girls. Goldstone was a "drag" role, and they changed the gender of the landlord (landlady?) to be Mrs. Kringlein (and made it a non-sexual assault).

I just did the show at a community theatre, where we added some non-named Farmboys to the Dainty June number. All played by girls.

Hope that helps!

Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:44 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Gypsy at High School.
LisaKitty wrote:
They changed the gender of the landlord (landlady?) to be Mrs. Kringlein (and made it a non-sexual assault).

Ugh... Well, what's the point? :roll:

I don't know why people are doing Gypsy in high schools anyway. It's just not appropriate for 17-year-old girls to be playing Rose. They are not ready for it - technically or emotionally. As a teacher, I would never put one of my kids through that. And I'm not saying that I don't challenge my learners, because I do. But a role like that... you might as well give them King Lear.

Later days
David

Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:42 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

you know david, i find it interesting when i hear replies like yours. i have seen the works of an outstanding private middle school in our area where a guest director takes the kids through the paces of shakespeare...and not only do they get it, but they excel at it.

rose is an extremely challenging and difficult role for anyone to play. complexities abound....why would you NOT allow someone the opportunity at 18 to explore that at a high school. it will be the only place they can.

Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:12 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

you know david, i find it interesting when i hear replies like yours. i have seen the works of an outstanding private middle school in our area where a guest director takes the kids through the paces of shakespeare...and not only do they get it, but they excel at it.

rose is an extremely challenging and difficult role for anyone to play. complexities abound....why would you NOT allow someone the opportunity at 18 to explore that at a high school. it will be the only place they can.

Because an 18 year old has never been a convincing Rose. It is probably the hardest role for any female to play in musical theater and we have seen "the greats" perform the role. Whenever some high school senior plays her it comes off sooooooo stupid.

Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:44 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:15 pm

Main Role: Performer
No. its more than his opinion. Its also Arthur Laurents analysis of the situation. He said in an interveiw that the show should not be attempted by educational theatre because you need to live first before you can get intoi the head of these complex people.

Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:18 pm
Profile WWW

Just out of curiousity, to RainbowJude and others, if musicals such as Gypsy are "too complex" for us poor, little high school students, how do you "challenge" us?

Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:57 pm
Profile WWW

Main Role: Performer
with shows like west side story,Titanic,Threepenny Opera, Into he Woods (though the baker's wife is very hard for a high school student to pull off)shows that are complex in nature,text,politics,emotions,but dont require alot of life lessons for the character to perform convincingly.

Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:40 am
Profile WWW

Yeah, I guess you're right, Salome. I hear my school might do WSS next year.

Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:22 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Salome, RainbowJude and Ciaron said everything I was planning on saying. Damn. And I was looking forward to getting on my soapbox for awhile... :)

Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:03 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

You know... high school students can really surprise you in terms of their quality of performance when portraying characters who have expierienced life in it's fullest in educational theatre. Recently, my school, Bunnell High School in CT, just did a production of Miss Saigon. I was a soloist and my best friends were Kim, Ellen and Chris. And I'm positive none of them have been through anything as truamatizing as the Vietnamese war. This still did not affect our performance. Richard Maltby, the co-lyricist of Miss Saigon, came to our production and said nothing but good things, wrote us all letters and gave our light designer (merely a junior) an internship over the summer working on The Pirate Queen. I didn't mean to go on a tangent, but here's my point. Anything is possible if you try. We pulled off Miss Saigon incredibly and there is word of us doing Gypsy or Little Women next year. All I'm saying is be a little more open minded when it comes to the potential of high school drama clubs and their actors.

Thu May 17, 2007 9:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next