The Resource For Musicals

Gypsy Forum

Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
Favorite Rose 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Annie was the other role she was awful in. she can't be touched in Sondheim roles though.

i'm not trying to make enemies, but "Gypsy" is Sondheim. At least partially. I've only heard the recordings (and seen her peroform "Rose's Turn" when she sang it at her Tyler concert) or Bernadette, and only heard the recordings of Merman. OF WHAT I'VE HEARD, I prefer Bernadette's "Rose's Turn", Merman's "Some People", and both of their "Everything's Coming Up Roses". I really, really, really, want to see LuPone's before it ends... But that's my opinion. With all that in mind I probably would have to say I prefer Bernadette. But then, I'm a diehard Peters fan.... :wink:

Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:20 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
you didnt hear Lansbury though..the mama Rose that blows everyone else out of the water..or Tyne Daley...a close 2nd.

Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:43 am
Profile WWW

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
ooooooooooooh...samples please...this I HAVE to hear...

Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:51 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Peters, Lansbury, Daly, and Russell

It should be noted that I've only seen and heard pieces of their respective performances (with the exception of Russell in the film version, seen the whole thing).

I saw Bernadette's performance of "Rose's Turn" at the Tony's. Outstanding. The best version I've seen/heard.

Praise to xxstagekiss

Wed May 14, 2008 9:40 pm

Peters was the worst Rose ive ever seen...wait...2nd worst next to Bette.

Thu May 15, 2008 12:39 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post best?
Lansbury, though immensely talented, did not give off the air of desperation and edge of crassness that is necessary for Rose. Watching her is a pleasure, but it is not Rose. She is way too warm and fuzzy in "Together." Peters was too cute for words and it hurts to watch her. Daly was amazing. Merman was all bombast; if Rose had only been a stage mother and not a monster as well, Merm would have it nailed, but she misses the nuances. Midler had her moments, but the way she played the character, Rose would never have had a moment of defeat, and would never have teetered on the edge as she must. Lupone I haven't seen. Buckley was too mannered. And although she's never played the role in full that I know of, and there are dead spots and clunkers all through her concert rendition, NOBODY has ever delivered the line "Get off of my runway" like Liza Minelli...it will chill your soul. So my favorites are Daly and Russell. Read Lee's and Havoc's books to know the real Rose...Daly and Russell give the best hints at the warped and obsessive creature that was Rose.

Thu May 22, 2008 3:33 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Agree about Lansbury although we can obviously only judge by the Tony performance and the cast recording - unless someone here was lucky enough to see her live? If not, we can't really fully judge. But from what I have heard and seen I agree with you re Lansbury. Didn't see Peters but can't picture her in the role at all and didn't like what I heard.

Thu May 22, 2008 6:18 am
Profile YIM WWW

based on the video ciaron has, plus all the critics and the cast recording. Lansbury was by far the most nuanced and realistic rose. She was a viper! Warm and Fuzzy? youre nuts people.

Thu May 22, 2008 7:18 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

However, I have a feeling that Patti LuPone will be the best Rose ever. I am probably going to go see it in the summer. :)

Fri May 23, 2008 6:12 am
Profile WWW

LuPone will probably be very good but she isnt half the actress Lansbury is.

Fri May 23, 2008 8:13 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Landsbury
I saw Landsbury do the part. When she sang "Together" she was all soft eyes and soft edges. That Rose was maternal. She stole the focus of the scene...it was all about a real talent that had been submerged, and frankly, Rose is only a real talent in her mind. Landsbury is a fantastic actress, but her Rose was NOT a viper. And Landsbury can do a viper better than the best of them as she showed in Manchurian Candidate. Lansbury's Rose had almost no touch of madness, that disconnect from reality that led Rose to drag the children through vaudevillian hell. Landsbury's Rose was off kilter, because it looked like she COULD have been a star; and Rose shouldn't.

Sun May 25, 2008 1:36 am

Wed May 28, 2008 1:27 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next