The Resource For Musicals

Gypsy Forum

Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Favorite Rose 
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

idTAPthat89 wrote:
Bette Midler! :D

EWW the singler WORST Mama Rose to ever attempt the role. She was dreadful..makes me want to slit my wrists.

And how about that wig? UGH!

Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:18 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Sondheim, Laurents and Styne all said Angela was the one who gave Rose a soul. Angela Lansbury is one of the greatest actresses the world has ever seen. To even put her in the same cat. with people like Patti Lupone is unfair (to Patti that is).

Angela Lansbury is certainly one of the greatest actresses ever but that doesn't mean she's perfect for every role. I watched that video of her doing Rose's Turn and I just don't think she really captured the essence of what Rose is about. I did not believe for a second that she was a failure at life. Her Rose would've made it.

And I have not heard a single Rose that had the raw emotion and desperation of Ethel Merman at the end of Rose's Turn. That last "FOR ME!!!" is so gripping, her voice actually cracks a little on the final note.....she sounds so frail. The voice of someone who is dying inside.

In fact, I would be more inclined to think that Angela would've been better because she's the better actress out of the two.
But Ethel Merman is tons more right for the part. Ethel was not an actress but I don't think there is anyone who could identify more with Rose than her.

In fact, June Havoc's cousin actually said that her interpretation was the closest she had ever seen to the real Rose.

The only Roses I've heard that come close to the Merm are Patti LuPone and Tyne Daly.

Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:19 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
no one beats Lansbury.....She was sheer perfection. not even Roz Russell or Tyne Daly the other 2 I consider to be great in the role can come close.

Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:26 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Roz Russell....there's one actress everyone loves but me. I adored her as Auntie Mame but Rose? Ughhhh.

Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:29 pm

Main Role: Performer
Roz Russell....there's one actress everyone loves but me. I adored her as Auntie Mame but Rose? Ughhhh.

You just have a strange vision of who Rose is I think.

i thionk we need to agree to not talk about it because Roz and Karl nailed that break up scene like on other Rose and Herbie i ever saw.

Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:30 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: next to normal

Also, was the 1989 Revival cast recording really poor because to say Tyne Daly wasn't at her best is an understatement (unless he is just bad)

Quote:
Sondheim, Laurents and Styne all said Angela was the one who gave Rose a soul.

Please, source this!

Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:01 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

idTAPthat89 wrote:
Bette Midler! :D

EWW the singler WORST Mama Rose to ever attempt the role. She was dreadful..makes me want to slit my wrists.

I don't think she was bad, i liked her too. I mean patti does it for me, but i thought Bett's wasn't bad at all. i also thought Bernadette was very good but she is "love/hate" with every one as well.

Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:05 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

i also thought Bernadette was very good but she is "love/hate" with every one as well.

Maybe here, but if you go over to places like Broadwayworld she is much more loved..we tend to have a Lansbury cult following here (which doesn't really reflect, from what I've seen, the 'general opinion' at all)

Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:43 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Did she even sing half the notes?

Rose is not all about singing. In fact, the show does not even need the songs. We are lucky enough to have them but Laurents book is strong enough to be a straight play. Oh an btw Roz was dubbed for the movie.

dolbinau wrote:
Also, was the 1989 Revival cast recording really poor because to say Tyne Daly wasn't at her best is an understatement (unless he is just bad)

Tyne, as well as most of the theater community, was sick during the recording.

Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:28 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Oh an btw Roz was dubbed for the movie.

That was my point :P "(Did she even sing half the notes?)". I think she dung a few lines (maybe none at all), but I'm just saying that - Is it fair to credit her performance solely to 'herself'?

Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:39 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Rose is not all about singing.

Are you kidding? Rose needs to be hell of a strong singer....they would have to be an unbelievably spectacular actor in order to get by with okay singing. Of course the acting counts for more but a powerful voice is an absolute must, unless you're a Tyne Daly.

The woman who dubbed Roz Russell couldn't sing for sh!t.....they had her sing an octave down because her voice was so weak!!! Gahh!!! Rose is an alto as it is!!!

Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:44 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Quote:
Rose is not all about singing.

Are you kidding? Rose needs to be hell of a strong singer....they would have to be an unbelievably spectacular actor in order to get by with okay singing. Of course the acting counts for more but a powerful voice is an absolute must, unless you're a Tyne Daly.

The woman who dubbed Roz Russell couldn't sing for sh!t.....they had her sing an octave down because her voice was so weak!!! Gahh!!! Rose is an alto as it is!!!

she is awful it sounds like she tries to sing like roz's speaking voice but it sounds dreadful!

Why wouldn't you just cast someone who could do it all... i personally think it's a travesty that Judy Garland never got the chance to play Mama Rose she would have been AMAZING!!!!!!!! i mean come on the mega movie musical actress playing the mega role for an actress in musicals to play it could not have been more perfect. if only it happened...

Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next