The Resource For Musicals

Gypsy Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
The Review's are in for LuPone's 'Gypsy' 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post The Review's are in for LuPone's 'Gypsy'
For those who care, here are some rave reviews of the Ravinia Festival's production of Gypsy staring Patti LuPone

Chicago Sun-Times

Chicago Tribune

enjoy

p.s- I have a recording of Patti's "Rose's Turn" (not that good quality) pm if you want it.

Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:57 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I find it so ironic that quote is in that book.

Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:22 am
I just joined this forum because I wanted to talk about how incredibly exciting and moving Patti LuPone was in GYPSY. I am not asking to purchase any pirated recordings, but I have been wondering over the past three days if the show was recorded. Will it be on DVD? WIll it be on CD? I am so hyped about this.

I do have a CD of Gypsy and played it today and the Rose's voice sounded full, flat, unengaged. What a contrast to LuPone.

I also saw Sweeney in NYC this year and in one of its first tours, I saw none other than Baby June, June Havoc, doing Mrs. Lovett.

I saw Company in Cincinnati in April and it should make a magnificent Broadway show in Nov.

Please, if anyone knows, let me know whether you think Ravinia will have recorded Gypsy.

Natalie

Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:46 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I just joined this forum because I wanted to talk about how incredibly exciting and moving Patti LuPone was in GYPSY. I am not asking to purchase any pirated recordings, but I have been wondering over the past three days if the show was recorded. Will it be on DVD? WIll it be on CD? I am so hyped about this.

I highly doubt it will be availiable for sale. But there are several of those "other kind" or recordings out there

Natalie wrote:
I do have a CD of Gypsy and played it today and the Rose's voice sounded full, flat, unengaged. What a contrast to LuPone.

What CD do you have?

Natalie wrote:
I also saw Sweeney in NYC this year and in one of its first tours, I saw none other than Baby June, June Havoc, doing Mrs. Lovett.

I'm just a little bit jealous. How was she?

Natalie wrote:
I saw Company in Cincinnati in April and it should make a magnificent Broadway show in Nov.

Yea it was pretty freakin' awesome, Raul is going to be my husband.

I find it so ironic that quote is in that book.

Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:21 am
Thank you for answering, Qpidsangel. I will really be devastated if they don't produce a DVD or a CD of LuPone's Gypsy. She was really a miracle. My husband and I have been crooning "I have a dream" at each other.....

The CD I had was Bette Midler's---I think my son "gifted" my Merman to one of his friends.

The Ravinia production was made by Patti LuPone. Her Rose was the most complicated Rose I have seen. I think that LuPone must have simply considered the incredible range of feelings that a character like Mme Rose has and how quickly those feelings can be cycled through---anger, envy, seduction, desire, projection, transference, ambition, ruthlessness--and yet a comic side, a childish side, an insecure side, a heartbroken side, an absolutely demented side. I've never seen a Broadway character played so 3 dimensionally. And LuPone embodies Rose in an absolutely realistic way. I'm rather tired on the one-dimensional Rose: you don't need a "gimmick" to be Rose, you need to have the full range of emotions available to you and to be able to slip from one to another with quicksilver speed.

I know that there are probably too many Gypsy's out there already, but this is really something that MUST be publicly available.

June Havoc was good. I think that she was following the Angela playbook fairly precisely--possibly was ordered to do so. I was so pleased to have an opportunity to see Sweeney--it was before the days of video and I was too young to afford a trip to NYC.

I have NO IDEA how to find "other kinds" of recordings. I shall consider it a sin against civilization if a DVD is not available of the Ravinia GYPSY.

Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]