The Resource For Musicals

Gypsy Forum

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Who's played Rose? 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
I've only seen the movie and I quite liked Rosalind Russell as Rose. Of course, I don't know if that was because I like her acting or because I found her craziness rather funny. ^^;;

Mon May 15, 2006 8:11 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

^Roz's craziness is hilarious!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I love it when she steals the cultlery! So funny! I think she mostly understood the character for the movie. She was really harsh, but, oh well. She was so good! Loved her! Love, -Nicole-

"Live, that's the message!"
"Live?"
"Yes, life is a banquet, and most of you poor suckers are starving to death!"

Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:42 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I didn't like Rosalind Russel. She talked way too fast. Her singing (which was dubbed) was okay. My favorite was Lansbury, of course.

Ellen

Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:34 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

russell didnt talk to fast you just werent paying attention.

Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:44 pm
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I was paying attention. I watched it many times (first for enjoyment, then because I was going to be Marjorie May, then again because I was going to be Dainty June). I felt that if she had talked a little slower on some of the parts it would have been easier to understand. I understand why she talked fast. It worked for the part. I just felt that it would have been better to talk slower for some of the parts.

Ellen

Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:43 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Patti LuPone is playing her at the Ravinia Festival.
She should make a great Mama Rose.

Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:24 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

As for the movie versions, I thought Rosalind Russell was hilarious in the role; she owned it. I didn't like Bette Midler half as much- I thought she was a bit too showy; too much about "Bette" and not enough about "Rose"!

Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:23 pm

As for the movie versions, I thought Rosalind Russell was hilarious in the role; she owned it. I didn't like Bette Midler half as much- I thought she was a bit too showy; too much about "Bette" and not enough about "Rose"!

exactly!!! I thought Bette would have been a good choice but she blew it early on by playing 'bewtte" and not "rose". plus she peaked at "Everythings coming up roses" she had nowhere left to go in act II.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:57 am
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

exactly!!! I thought Bette would have been a good choice but she blew it early on by playing 'bewtte" and not "rose". plus she peaked at "Everythings coming up roses" she had nowhere left to go in act II.

Yeah, it's funny; Before seeing Bette, I thought, "perfect role for her—She'll nail it", but was a little dissapointed after seeing it.

Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:08 pm

Current Obsession: Musicals!
As for the movie versions, I thought Rosalind Russell was hilarious in the role; she owned it. I didn't like Bette Midler half as much - I thought she was a bit too showy; too much about "Bette" and not enough about "Rose"!

Salome wrote:
I thought Bette would have been a good choice but she blew it early on by playing 'Bette" and not "Rose". Plus she peaked at "Everythings Coming Up Roses". She had nowhere left to go in Act II.

Jenem wrote:
Before seeing Bette, I thought, "perfect role for her—She'll nail it", but was a little dissapointed after seeing it.

And I disagree completely. I found Rosalind Russell to be completely annoying and superficial in a film adaptation that was, frankly, boring. The film doesn't engage me and it doesn't compel me.

It is true that Bette Midler's own persona and mannerisms came through very strongly and even I am willing to admit that perhaps the balance of these in relation to the character wasn't quite right and that her performance did peak too early. But overall, the performance worked for me. I think that there was a sense of authenticity present in Midler's performance. I believed her. And I believed in her.

The same goes for the supporting casts of the film and television versions respectively. Generally, I felt as if the actors in the film hadn't explored the characters in any kind of depth at all. It just feels like schtick and external 'going through the motions" stuff to me. I don't feel that way about the television version.

If only Angela Lansbury or Betty Buckley had been captured for the big screen or the box - those are two performers I'd love to see, particularly the former.

At any rate, Gypsy is the best of the made-for-tv musicals, in my opinion. Nowhere near the disappointment that, for example, South Pacific was, where the casting of the lead role definitely had an immensely adverse effect on the credibility of the piece.

Later days
David

Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:41 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

When did Betty Buckley play Rose? I haven't heard her do it, but I think she'd be TERRIBLE.

Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2