The Resource For Musicals

Guys and Dolls Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
For anyone who has played both Marian Paroo and Sarah Brown 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Les Mis, Alfie Boe
Post For anyone who has played both Marian Paroo and Sarah Brown
I just played Marian earlier this year and will be auditioning for Sarah at the end of the year with the same group. I don't want my Sarah to come off as Marian, but I'm afraid it might unintentionally because the characterters do have a lot of similarities. Before someone goes off stating the obvious about how they are different characters, I understand that. But there's no denying that they have a lot of core traits in common.

I see them both as headstrong, having moral convictions, upright, can come off as prim and uptight though on the inside they aren't, both fall for a guy that is the opposite of what they want, etc. What I've been doing is coming up with a list of how they are different to help me bring Sarah out into her own. The last thing I want to do is walk into the audition and have people see Marian. So, with the differences, I was able to find a few. However, I'm still stuck on the similarities. How do I make their similarities still seem different, if that makes sense? For instance, when Sarah speaks to Sky coldy "I now see, Mr. Gambler, that when you were describing the blackness of your heart, you didn't do yourself justice." different from when Marian speaks to Harold coldly, "...and another thing, Mr. Hill, I'm not as easily mesmorized or hoodwinked as some people in this town," etc. I just feel like since I am coming so fresh out of this character it's hard for me to seperate them. Any advice would be appreciated. :)

Past Roles:
Marian Paroo-"The Music Man"
Nellie Forbush- "South Pacific"
Hope Harcourt- "Anything Goes"
Laurey Williams- "Oklahoma!"

Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:15 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"
Post Re: For anyone who has played both Marian Paroo and Sarah Br
I haven't played Sarah, but have been in G&D twice as another role. I wish I had the script and could refresh my memory! I have, however, played Marian before. Hmm, I've never thought of it, but they are similar character types.
I see Sarah as a bit more modern (of course there is the time period difference, but more than that). She is in a position that might be considered "unwomanly" for the time. She marches, she speaks out in public places. I mean, it hasn't been all that many years since women got the right to vote, I can't imagine that many men would look at her and say "now there's the gal for me!". The only thing she's got as far as society is concerned is her looks. I can't remember her family situation, but why is it that she only has the grandfather figure? Are her parents dead? If so, that adds more to the "independent" streak. Either way, she's had to make a life for herself.
Marian, on the other hand, although he father is dead, still has a close family, a caring mother, etc. She is independent and unpopular in her opinions, but more of an "eccentric" than truly independent, if that makes sense. She hasn't moved out of the town she was raised in, still participates in normal family and community functions, doesn't go too much against the grain, just has some unpopular opinions about books. (and an unfortunate but untrue reputation).

Sarah is also very naive (sheltered?)for all her modern independence... never been drunk, doesn't even know what alcohol tastes like to get drunk so quickly in Havana. Sees the world as very black and white- if you do X,Y,Z "sinful" things, you are a bad, sinful person.
Marian has a lot of book learning experience, and although maybe not real world experience, she is still more jaded and cynical. Doesn't trust Harold at all, and is only nice to him after he does something nice for her brother. Has a more mature view on what type of relationship she wants "All I want is a plain man, all I want is modest man, a quiet man, a gentle man, a straightforward and honest mad to sit with me.... and I would like him to be more interested in me than he is in himself, and more interested in US, than in me..." (not shooting for the moon, not looking for Mr. Hunk, just a GOOD, solid, responsible man who cares as much about their relationship together as she does.
Sarah seems to have a little girl view on romance, a man is going to come sweep me off my feet and everything will be perfect. "I'll know by that calm steady voice, Those feet on the ground. I'll know as I run to his arms
That at last I've come home safe and sound. " Also from her descriptions it sounds like she's looking for an older, father-figure type of man, someone who will shelter he and take care of her "For I've imagined every bit of him, from his strong moral fiber to the wisdom in his head, To the home-y aroma of his pipe "

I think that's all I got so far. If I think of anything else, I'll add later. :)

Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:28 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Les Mis, Alfie Boe
Ooo I love your ideas, Brig! Thanks for the well thought response, that is definitely helpful. I agree that Marian is more jaded and cynical. I was thinking after I posted this that Sarah kind of reminds me of where Marian may have been when she was a little younger. Still naive and not too jaded by the world or a man yet. She definitely gives in to Sky a lot easier than Marian does with Harold. I agree that Marian does seem to have more of that maturity to her in the way that she reasons and thinks too. Good thoughts. Thanks again! Oh and by the way, Sarah's story about her parents isn't explained in the script, but the original story that it's based off of tells us that her father and brother were/are gamblers. That is why she is so dead set against marrying one.

Past Roles:
Marian Paroo-"The Music Man"
Nellie Forbush- "South Pacific"
Hope Harcourt- "Anything Goes"
Laurey Williams- "Oklahoma!"

Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:30 pm

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"
Another tiny detail I wanted to add was it seems like Marian wants an equal in her husband/man, and Sarah wants someone she can take care of, who will take care of her. If that makes sense. Marian wants to have an intellectual equal she can discuss things with.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]