1940s 25%  25%  [ 4 ]
1950s 69%  69%  [ 11 ]
Doesn't matter 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 16

What year does this take place?? 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post What year does this take place??
There seems to be some dispute over what year this show takes place. When I did this show last spring, all of our costumes were based on the 50s era, but my director at school has been telling us that the show takes place in the 40s.

I personally believe that it takes place in the fifties, because (I think someone else hear might have mentioned) if it were in the fourties, then most of the men would have been fight for the war, no?

Also, in 'Take Back You Mink" Adelaide explains:
He bought me the fur thing five winters ago
And the gown, the following fall
Then the necklace, the gloves, the shoes and the hat,
That was late forty-eight, I recall

So wouldn't that mean the year is 1952?? Or at least close to it? It couldn't be the 40s, because then it would make sense for Adelaide to say 'late' referring to a future year, right?

Any thoughts?

Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:33 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"
Ahh... yes, I remember that now, and that's why we all thought it was early 50's.
But the show opened in 1950.... I still don't know. We need a musical theater professor or something.
;)

Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:10 pm

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"
Just thought of something this morning... the first present was 5 years ago, the fur. Then the next present followed some months later, the following fall. So it's safe to assume that the presents have half a year to 10 months between their frequency, with the last presents of gloves and hat arriving in late '48. so Now I'm thinking maybe it is set in 1949 or 1950. Since there is no indication of 'setting/year' given by the writers IN THE SCRIPT, we can safely assume it is to be set in the 'present', meaning THEIR present, i.e., when it was written/when it opened. I don't know how long it took to write the show, but if they wrote the lyrics "late '48" and the song is taking place sometime after (even though it is just a silly cabaret/ strip tease song for the girls to dance to) then I think we can figure it is set somewhere around 1949-1950.

Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:25 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Post Re:
Brigantine wrote:
Just thought of something this morning... the first present was 5 years ago, the fur. Then the next present followed some months later, the following fall. So it's safe to assume that the presents have half a year to 10 months between their frequency, with the last presents of gloves and hat arriving in late '48. so Now I'm thinking maybe it is set in 1949 or 1950. Since there is no indication of 'setting/year' given by the writers IN THE SCRIPT, we can safely assume it is to be set in the 'present', meaning THEIR present, i.e., when it was written/when it opened. I don't know how long it took to write the show, but if they wrote the lyrics "late '48" and the song is taking place sometime after (even though it is just a silly cabaret/ strip tease song for the girls to dance to) then I think we can figure it is set somewhere around 1949-1950.
I think it is supposed to be set in 1950 (the year it opened). It is interesting to note that in the 1955 movie version the "late 48" line is changed.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]