The Resource For Musicals

Guys and Dolls Forum

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
College Production of Guys & Dolls 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Bare, Next to Normal
Post College Production of Guys & Dolls
I just found out today that my college will be putting on a production of Guys & Dolls for next season. I will be an incoming freshman. Is there anything I need to know that's different from a high school musical theatre program to a college musical theatre program? Any tips that anyone could give me would be great!

Also, what should I know about this show before auditioning? I haven't researched it yet. Usually what I do before an audition is find out what all the characters are in the show, the plot of the show, and I buy the Original Broadway Cast Recording to get a feel for the music of the show before I audition. Auditions are still a long way off but since I know now what the show is I can start getting myself together for the audition. Usually I focus on one role that I want to be for the show and audition as that character. It hasn't always worked but it gives you more direction in your acting choices than just auditioning as anyone for a show. I know that as a freshman, I'm not promised anything. Few freshman get roles. This year there's was only two freshman that got roles when they did Beauty and the Beast. It's very competitive.

What roles should I look into? I would consider myself a bass. I've been in the ensemble for both Singin' in the Rain and Big River, and was Franz in The Sound of Music. This will be my fourth musical production.

Mon May 03, 2010 3:43 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
Main Role: Performer
If you're a bass, I suggest you go for Nathan...especially if you're great at character roles. If you can extend into the high baritone register, you might also be a contender for Sky.

Nicely-Nicely is definitely out, though..."Sit Down You're Rockin' the Boat" is notoriously tenorish. Break a leg at the audition!

Tue May 04, 2010 3:39 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

to be fair i dont think they'd give the lead to an incoming freshman. but the good thing about Guys and Dolls is that there are alot of good character roles... Harry The Horse, Lt. Brannigan,Benny Southstreet, and Angie the Ox are all good supporting parts that they might give a freshman.

Wed May 05, 2010 7:09 am
Profile WWW

Main Role: Other...
Just do the best you can ... you never know. I agree with SLY & Salome, though. There was a freshman who was a lead in the first production at my university, but I don't know how he was ... in another show, I thought he should be better if he was the lead character in the last play.

Wed May 05, 2010 7:22 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Guys & Dolls will be the annual musical for the year but it will be the last production of the season. We have three shows before that, two plays and a Christmas music production. I think I might have a better chance at any role since the production will be at the end of the year. I'll have some college experience hopefully before this show comes up. I'm very excited to be a part of a college production. Their Beauty and the Beast production looked amazing! Here's a link to some pictures from the show. I wasn't able to see it but I would have loved to.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... 6629601013

Wed May 05, 2010 6:24 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: College Production of Guys & Dolls
Does anyone have any good suggestions for an audition piece for Guys and Dolls? We can sing songs from the show but I'd rather not do that. If I can't find anything else, I was just going to sing, "Luck Be A Lady". Is there any songs that Frank Loesser wrote that would work for the audition? Thanks!

Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:52 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
Something from H2$, perhaps? J. Pierpont Finch might have things in common with Sky.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:28 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Does anyone know of any good monologues for Guys and Dolls? I need to start looking for one soon as the audition is February 1st. I have decided that I will be singing "Luck Be A Lady" for my audition. The director said that it was fine if I sung something from the show. Since I will be singing "Luck Be A Lady", I should find a matching monologue that goes with Sky's character. I'm not auditioning for Sky because I know I wouldn't get the role as a freshman; I just want to be a part of the show. If anyone could shine some light on finding a monologue, that would be great! I've never had to find one before. Thanks!

Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:59 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I have auditions tomorrow for Guys and Dolls. Only nine guys are auditioning for the show! Do you think we can pull it off with that number? The director picked the show on the sole purpose that it had good roles for the Senior Projects (Sarah Brown and Adelaide) but neglected the fact that we don't have a lot of guys in the Theatre Department or who do shows period. Some people who would usually audition are too busy this semester to do it. I have no doubt I'll be cast but how well I do in the audition will determine what part I get. I'll be happy with whatever but I think I would be most satisfied with Benny Southstreet.

Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]