The Resource For Musicals

Guys and Dolls Forum

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Male Lead - Nathan or Sky 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

While the four principle characters are all great roles, I've always considered Sky and Sarah to be the two leads and Nathan and Adelaide to be the secondary couple. I think that Nathan and Adelaide or often put on the same level as Sky and Sarah because they have more comedic material; which is not to say that Sky and Sarah don't, just that Nathan and Adelaide have more. Now would Sky techincaly being the lead stop me from auditioning for Nathan? No way! I'd much rather be Nathan than Sky. Sky, Sarah, Nathan, and Adelaide are all great roles and, in my opinion, standards of musical theater.

The Sergeant in The Boys from Syracuse
Rapunzel''''s Prince in Into the Woods
Harvey Johnson in Bye Bye Birdie
Gremio in Kiss Me Kate
Leader of the Pack

Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:40 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
Nathan is hands down the leading man. Its his story..not sky's. plus He had more stage time as well.

if anything all 4 roles are equal but if you need to pivk Nathan and Adalide are the shows principals.

Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:38 am
Profile WWW
They're both leads... no doubt. I played Sky, but the guy who played Nathan is a MONSTER of a singer... like, he could be on broadway without worry. Crazy.

But, here's the thing. Nathan is the Comic Lead whilst Sky is the Romantic Lead. Differences there, and those prototypes are many shows.

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:15 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Our schools show
This year our school is putting on Guys and Dolls and i really am not sure what part i want Nathan Or Sky. I know i can do either part but im still not sure so My friends tell me i should do Sky but im still not sure but i think thats what im goin to do!! :)

Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:09 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Sky is the lead of this show. He sings alot more and is involved with the plot alot more, will usually get the last bow with his counnterpart. Nathan is the supporting lead. He has more of a part than a supporting role.

As for your fiddler comparison. Tevye is in every plot. I dont even understand your comparison there.

Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:08 am

Sky is the lead of this show. He sings alot more and is involved with the plot alot more, will usually get the last bow with his counnterpart. Nathan is the supporting lead. He has more of a part than a supporting role.

As for your fiddler comparison. Tevye is in every plot. I dont even understand your comparison there.

sorry..Nathan is the lead. as isaid earlier..its his plot. he has more stage time . bob hoskins won the olivier award for best lead actor. nathan lane was nominated for a tony for best lead actor, samew levene,nominated (along with robert alda) for best lead actor. not supporting.

Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:27 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

hmmm Im going to have to read the script. I guess I am wrong on this one. It just seemed sky was more involved when I saw the show.

Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:46 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I've toured in Guys and Dolls playing Nathan Detroit and i must say i came to the conclusion that he was the male lead....but only just. Ok so Sky gets more songs, but the story does centre around Nathan, he gets a lot more stage time. The story is about Nathans game and Sky and Sarah meet because of his bet, it also follows him trying to find a place for his game - Sky only gets the love story with sarah, Nathan gets the main story and his own love story. Its also worth pointing out that in the stage show Nathan closes the show along with Adelaide.

I suppose in theory Sky should be lead, but the script doesnt support that.
Altho like many have already said, Nathan and Adelaide and Sky and Sarah should really be seen as equals as most productions bill them as.

Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:27 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I think in a case like this, it may come down to star power. They're both on a see-saw of importance. So, do you have a "big star" as Nathan, or Sky? Usually only one or the other.

Very tightly, very soon.
So wave one bachelor goodbye,
She'll be your bride- she'd rather die
Than have her daddy ossify
In my sordid saloon..."

Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:13 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:25 am

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"
All four are really about equal, but I agree that Sky is most often 'seen' as the lead, simply because he is the 'romantic lead'.
If I'm remembering correctly, I think Sky and Sarah have more scenes together (really, the only reason Sarah is in the story at all is because of Nathan and Sky) but Nathan and Adelaide do more things apart from each other (the Hot Box songs, Lament, Marry the Man Today). They are only together a little at the beginning ('put this belt around your belly'), before Adelaide's Lament, before/during Sue Me, and what, like one line at the end? I think that Sarah and Sky having their stage time together makes it seem like their parts are bigger, while Nathan's time with the guys in lots of different scenes and not a whole lot actually WITH Adelaide makes his seem smaller.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:17 pm

Here at MdN we like to beat dead horses and revive three year-old threads. Just think, if this thread was a person it would be walking and talking by now.

Now, with newfound wisdom and coming back to this after a few years, here's another thought: The musical is based on a short story called the Idyll of Miss Sarah Brown. Now, I haven't read the story and I'm sure a lot was changed but perhaps it was originally intended to be Sarah and Sky's story. I do really think it depends on the direction and who is cast.

Marlon Brando (big star) cast as Sky in the movie.
Ewan McGregor (big star) cast as Sky in London production.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:27 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next