Godspell Forum

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
GODSPELL: More Than 40 Years On……. 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: writing, reading and research
Main Role: Fan
Post GODSPELL: More Than 40 Years On…….
Godspell is a musical by Stephen Schwartz and a book by John-Michael Tebelak.(1) It opened off Broadway on 17 May 1971, and has played in various touring companies and revivals many times since, including a 2011 revival which played on Broadway from 13 October 2011 to 24 June 2012. When Godspell first opened I was in my last month of teaching in Canada before leaving to teach in South Australia in July 1971.

Several cast albums have been released over the years and one of its songs, "Day by Day” from the original cast album, reached #13 on the Billboard pop singles chart in the summer of 1972. By the summer of 1972 I had my hands full as a high-school teacher in the steel-port city of Whyalla South Australia. I was also the secretary of the local Baha’i community, a husband in a marriage that would end in 1973, and a guitarist in the Whyalla folk club. This musical and its songs were far-out on the periphery of my life, occupied as I was every waking moment with the above roles-tasks.

The play's title is derived from the Old English word gōdspell, or good news, the root of the modern word gospel.-Ron Price with thanks to 1Wikipedia and 7TWO TV, 7 February, 2013, 2:00-4:00 p.m.

There is so much for the punter
in popular and high culture, local,
regional, national & international
culture; you pick-&-choose from
the Niagara Falls of stuff that just
keeps coming at you from print &
electronic media….This afternoon
was Godspell which has been out &
about for more than 40 years while
I’ve been in Australia going from
young adulthood to late adulthood
and, maybe, old-age, time-will-tell.

This musical had a Protestant edge:
no Peter, that first among equals &
core-source of the Petrine doctrine.;(1)
not that this theological reality even
mattered to those who watched or to
the overall success of this musical.

(1) Some Christians hold that Simon Peter was the most prominent of the Apostles, called the Prince of the Apostles and favored by Jesus of Nazareth. As such, it is argued that Peter held the first place of honor and authority. In addition, in Catholicism, it is also argued this primacy should extend in perpetuity to the Pope over other bishops throughout the Church through the doctrine of Apostolic succession.

This doctrine is also known as the Primacy of Simon Peter or the Petrine Primacy (from the Latin Petrus for "Peter") but it is more formally known as the Primacy of the Catholic Pontiff. A number of traditions, most notably Catholic, hold that Simon Peter (also called Saint Peter or Cephas) was the first Bishop of Antioch, as well as the first Bishop of Rome. Critical scholars point out, however, that bishops in the early Christian church probably did not perform their functions and roles in the manner that evolved in later centuries.

Ron Price
7/2/’13.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:49 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]