The Resource For Musicals

Godspell Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Godspell set in a museum? 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Main Role: Musician
Post Godspell set in a museum?
I'm in the ensemble for Godspell, and the director is very....unique, for lack of a better word. If you need an example, this is how the Pirates were costumed for Peter Pan (since we were supposed to be idiots, and I apologize that you guys had to witness the cross-dressing, haha :D) Image

You probably get the idea. Anyway, now he's directing Godspell and he's having it set in a museum. Apparently, we are going to have paintings represent some stuff, like at the end there will be a painting of the Crucifixion, but Jesus will be cut out of the painting and when he dies he'll go on the painting. He has had a few shows crash and burn because he's highly interested in making them unique, so it slightly worries me. Does this idea seem half-decent?

Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:14 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post Re: Godspell set in a museum?
I expect the director has been influenced by Gilbert and Sullivan's Ruddigore, in which a gallery of paintings and statues comes to life. Sounds interesting for the Tower of Babel prologue; I don't know where it would go from there.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:15 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Shaw
Main Role: Performer
Godspell has certainly had crazier interpretations before. To me at least, this idea sounds like it has some promise. Keep us informed about how it turns out.

Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:37 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Main Role: Musician
I know it's really late, but it actually turned out FANTASTIC! So many people thought it wasn't going to work, but it really did! Many people said it was the most effective way they've ever seen it done! I'll post pictures when I get them!

Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]