The Resource For Musicals

Godspell Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
"All Good Gifts" as a Thanksgiving Hymn? 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post "All Good Gifts" as a Thanksgiving Hymn?
A youth group at my church recently did a Thanksgiving pageant and their opening number was "All Good Gifts". I thought it was a cool song to include (though that might just be my musical theater bias talking), albeit unconventional. What do you all think?

Brian aka Apples2for10

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:04 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post Re: "All Good Gifts" as a Thanksgiving Hymn?
Very good.

I heart which I could not help him

Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:00 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Many
Main Role: Fan
Post Re: "All Good Gifts" as a Thanksgiving Hymn?
Smart choice, in part because of an obscure piece of Godspell history that I doubt they were aware of:

What did you just witness? It's called Godspell Goes to Plimoth Plantation for Thanksgiving (using the archaic spelling the Pilgrims used), and it aired on PBS in 1973. It was the Boston sit-down cast of the time essentially wandering through the Plimoth Plantation reenactment areas performing musical numbers, and the songs were re-purposed into a First Thanksgiving narrative about the early settlers, as related by Henry Steele Commager.

It's an interesting mix of campy and sincere, including such moments as the cast singing "Bless the Lord" on the Mayflower II as it makes landfall, "Sonia" making Thanksgiving interjections in "Turn Back, O Man" ("C'mere Captain John Smith, I got something to show you" and "Don't be so stand-offish, Miles" come to mind), and "By My Side," complete with a haunting passage about the deaths at Jamestown in the first harsh winter which replaced the familiar Judas verse from the Gospel. It's not Star Wars Christmas Special bad, but it's an interesting slice of what Seventies TV programmers thought worked. (I strongly suspect that this was their way of jazzing up what they thought to be a dull First Thanksgiving narrative program.)

And what does this have to do with it? Well, they sing "All Good Gifts" during the reenactment of the First Thanskgiving (top of Part 3). xD

Originally joined April 18, 2002
1,452 posts on original forum ("Broadway Legend" rank)

Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:07 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]