Re: how do you stage it legally - pay royalties, etc.?
For the rights to perform Godspell
in your school, church, theater group, or other setting, contact one of these two agencies. For a licensing fee, they will provide the script, score, and support materials.Music Theatre InternationalTheir page for Godspell is here.
Support materials they provide include:
- RehearScore - propriety sequencing software for Windows and Mac that supports the rehearsal process with show music. It allows a music director to point-and-click to transpose keys, conduct dance or choral rehearsals at varying tempos and parts, separate parts for rehearsal in Karaoke style, and more.
- A stage manager's script that can be personalized with your own production notes even though it is part of the rented materials.
- Transpositions on demand for adjusting the music to virtually any key resulting in an easy-to-read computer print out
There's probably more. Check their page.Theatre MaximusTheir page is here. Godspell is the only show they license.
Theatre Maximus has licensed Godspell
since 1972. They also license the Spanish version of the Godspell
script. They send out the materials three months in advance and do not require a deposit.
The package includes:
- 12 libretti with chorus
- Bass, drum, and quitar parts, plus 2 piano scores
- A "production book" which enables you to stage a close replica of the 1971 production
- Material related to the optional number "Beautiful City"
- Permission to use the original Godspell logo
Go with what package looks best. Both will assess how much you are charged in terms of royalties based on specific criteria (MTI's is here
Break a leg!