The Resource For Musicals

Godspell Forum

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
How did you Portray Your version of Godspell? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post How did you Portray Your version of Godspell?
For instance.. Ours:
Is on a street with a graffitied brick wall and a chain link fence.. trash cans, boards, and milk carton boxes are our props..
We are all using our own names
In the begining we are listening to the philosphers who all have t-shirts displaying there names and we are in coveralls
once we are baptized we run off and come back 3 minutes later in complete white outfits
We show our relationship with jesus by wearing bandanas
Jesus is wearing all white with suspenders.. stuff like that

how did you do your production?

Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:25 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

I'm directing it this spring as a student-run production. As for the nitty-gritty stuff, you can check this thread here about costuming, it details MANY of my concepts (including character identities, costumes, how the followers show their allegiance to Christ, a new character I added etc.),

http://www.musicals.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=54735

and this thread about some other concepts (Jesus and his relationship to Robin)

http://www.musicals.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=64762

As for some other stuff, my setting is a little sidestreet in NYC that's caged in with fencing, trashcans, a platform in the center of black boxes, some benches along the side, a trashcan, walls full of fliers (for missing person's signs, audition notices for bands, people looking for rooms etc.), cardboard boxes, and other random stuff.

For the philosophers, I'm having my cast in black cloaks that cover up their colored costumes, and I'm actually not having them be baptized as philosophers, I'm having a blackout at the end of Babble, and then spotlighting Judas in the back, in which time the followers will pull their cloaks off, exit stage, and make their entrances for Prepare Ye as though they heard Judas calling (like in the movie sort of). I want Babble to be more of a flashback through time, then the actual show.

As for some other stuff, I can't really think right now! haha, if anyone thinks of anything else, I'll comment on how I'm doing it! Hope this helps! :D

Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:50 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

We had to perform in a church (the church didn't produce it, but we used the location because we couldn't find another place) and so we couldn't do very much because they had church services throughout the performances. The whole sanctuary has this bright red carpet though and the back wall was brick. Then we had a light-up cross upstage center and over it was draped this orange gauze stuff. During On The Willows, Robin and Joanne removed the gauze and Jesus was tied to the cross during the crucifixion. It flashed throughout the crucifixion, which was a pretty cool effect. Other than that, though, we had a bare stage and any props were just set off to the side until we used them (although we didn't have many).

Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:08 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

We've set our production in a rock club - Club 3:16. There is a main stage, a bar, and some tables and chairs.

Director, Tech Director - Footloose: The Musical, 2007
Co-director, Tech Director, FOH - Fame: The Musical, 2006

Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:24 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Ours didn't really have a setting. The set was some platforms, a smaller stage, and some scaffold that Jesus and Judas/John the Baptist climbed on.

Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:33 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Ours is going to have a warehouse feel, with lots of bright bright colors splashed all over. We also have lots of ladders, two of which are actually in the house, and we're doing it on a thrust stage level with the audience. On the actual stage we're having the traditional chain link fence across the back, a couple of sawhorses and platforms, and one tall metal folding ladder.

I get to sit on top of the ladder to begin the show as Socrates in Tower of Babble :) I am excited about this because I am very short and it makes me feel very tall.

Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:14 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I'm in Godspell right now and the setting is outside a school and we're dressed up like different stereotypes. Jesus is dressed like a teacher, Judus is the nerd, Peggy (by my side) is the hippie, Herb is the jock, Jeffery (we beesech thee) is emo-ish, Gilmer (learn your lessons well) is grungy, Lamar (all good gifts) is cowboy-ish, Robin (day by day) is a tomboy, Sonia (turn back o man) is punk, and Joanne (bless the lord) is ghetto fabulous! In the beginning we wear choir robes with the philosopher's names on them! We wear bracelets that say Jesus loves you or I love Jesus on them! We changed alot of stuff in the script to make it more modern!

Previously:
Crystal-Little Shop of Horrors
Robin-Godspell
Chorus-Footloose
Peppermint Patty-Your A Good Man, Charlie Brown
Jacks Mother-Into The Woods

Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:14 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

We used a summer camp setting. Jesus was the counselor, John the Baptist/Judas was his assistant, Herb (potrayed by yours truly) was a nerd, Robin was a hippie, Gilmer was school girl, Joanne was a prep, Lamar was a rocker, Sonia was a tramp, Peggy was a farm girl, and Jeffrey was a jock. We had a large cast, with the ensemble in bright colors. We deleted the Prologue, but had the Pharisees, who were a group of people in black suits, say a few lyrics as lines in the begining. The prouction was held in a courthouse.

Sat May 24, 2008 4:50 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

i just recently finished a production of Godspell. ours was set in a junkyard where we all used our own names. The philosophers had t-shirts with their names on them so that the audience could tell who was who. the director tried to cast us as close to what the descriptions were in the libretto, even though we were essentially playing ourselves. also we included a resurrection scene and sang "Beautiful City".

Fri May 30, 2008 11:12 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I'm currently directing a production of the show and ours is set in a class room. We have found a great theatre to perform in which gives us the option of setting the action below the audience.

We'll be in uniform that is customised as the description of each character would allow. when each character has a moment with Jesus (that are later reflected in his good byes during "On the Willows") he gives them something to wear, Jeff gets shoes, Peggy gets a head scarf, Sonia gets bright pink evening gloves. then when he says good bye, they are removed and get put away.
Each character also alters their uniform one they have had their "moment" with Jesus so that by the Time we get to sing Light of the world, everyone has gone through a transition.

We have great traditional school desks that are on wheels and when the time comes for Sonia to Turn Back O Man, we will have pus activated lamps that will sit on them with red cloth over, moody sexy lighting!

We perform at the end of August, not long to go and it's petrifying and exciting!

HIJ

xxx

Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:52 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I'm currently directing a production of the show and ours is set in a class room. We have found a great theatre to perform in which gives us the option of setting the action below the audience.

We'll be in uniform that is customised as the description of each character would allow. when each character has a moment with Jesus (that are later reflected in his good byes during "On the Willows") he gives them something to wear, Jeff gets shoes, Peggy gets a head scarf, Sonia gets bright pink evening gloves. then when he says good bye, they are removed and get put away.
Each character also alters their uniform one they have had their "moment" with Jesus so that by the Time we get to sing Light of the world, everyone has gone through a transition.

We have great traditional school desks that are on wheels and when the time comes for Sonia to Turn Back O Man, we will have pus activated lamps that will sit on them with red cloth over, moody sexy lighting!

We perform at the end of August, not long to go and it's petrifying and exciting!

HIJ

xxx

when you say they are wearing uniforms and alter them, what do you mean by alter. do you mean just a scarf or something, or do they completly loose the uniform?

Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:00 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Last year I was in a production of Godspell. Our production was more black box....or should I say rainbow box. We had graduated boxes (that made different props for the parables) with a chainlink fence behind that. Our costumes were jeans, sneakers and colored t-shirts. For the prologue we had sweatshirts that were gray with black letters to spell out the philosophers. It definitely a scaled down production in contrast to other Godspell productions I have seen. I love the black box feel with minimal pieces and costumes...it made a huge impact/connection with our audience.

Being without costumes was a wonderful freedom, your character was engrained in you. Plus, it was nice not to have hot costumes in Palm Springs during the summer 100 + heat. Our production used the traditional character names.

Godspell was one of my favorite shows! What a wonderful production

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next