The Resource For Musicals

A Funny Thing Happened On the Way To the Forum Forum

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post .

Last edited by kemeisleahcim on Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:33 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Well as Pseudelous, you need to have to be really on the ball with your lines and have excellent diction. The action dictates a rapid exchange between characters but the audience has to understand the words to get the jokes. And there are a lot of jokes. There is also a lot of broad physical comedy, so work on your commedia skills. Pseudelous doesn't do anything small. And you need to make the audience fall in love with you and hope that you'll be able to make things turn out right. You're the heart of the story!

Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:49 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Last edited by kemeisleahcim on Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:17 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Since I'm a fan of musical theater, I kind of don't see the point of castrating a musical when there are so many fine one act plays that are written for that format. Taking the music out of a musical just doesn't seem right to me!

Where is this trendy? Your part of Texas, I'm guessing.

Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:19 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:14 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Some schools did it to Godspell and You're a Good Man Charlie Brown at our One Act Competition this year at Districts. Godspell was a mess, and YAGMCB was amazing (then again, it's really all just skits).

And someone did Do Black Patent Leather Shoes Really Reflect Up?, but they took out the musical numbers. It wasn't aweful structurally, but the acting was atrocious. Imagine all their actors being trained by Hilary Duff or some equally untalented Disney Kid... that's how they were, only worse.

Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:15 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Since I'm a fan of musical theater, I kind of don't see the point of castrating a musical when there are so many fine one act plays that are written for that format. Taking the music out of a musical just doesn't seem right to me!

Where is this trendy? Your part of Texas, I'm guessing.

Isn't that illegal? I know at least some of the licensing companies EXPLICITLY say that you are NOT to remove the music from a show and present it as a straight play.

Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:13 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:57 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Interesting..
Anyway, it's imperative that Pseudolus, as others have said, have excellent comedic timing. The play is such that lines should be delivered with no lagging in between. Of course, this doesn't mean to speak to quickly or let diction fall by the wayside, but it certainly means that dialogue should take place in a high-energy way, if that makes sense. Best of luck!

Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]