The Resource For Musicals

A Funny Thing Happened On the Way To the Forum Forum

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Callback!!!!! 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Callback!!!!!
I'm so excited!! I got called back for Domina for a regional semi-pro theater company that I have wanted to work with for quite some time. I've auditioned for them four times, and have yet to be cast. This is a role that I know I could kick some major boo-tay in!

The director is doing it totally over the top; his direction to us at the preliminary auditions was to act like "human cartoon characters". As one of my specialties is over the top comedy (recent roles have been Magenta in RHS and Tessie Tura in Gypsy), I'm reasonably sure that I would fit in perfectly with his vision. The director actually saw my production of Rocky Horror, and commented that he knew I could do the kind of characterization he was looking for.

I so hope the callback goes well, and I end up with the role! My biggest worry is that he will have to cast someone in his 30's for Hero (tenors being the rarity that they are), and I'll look too young to play his mother.

Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:11 am

When I was Domina a few years ago, our Hero was in his 40's, but didn't look a day over 20. Besides, this is where make-up comes in. A grey wig or hairspray, eyeliner to emphasize the wrinkles in your forehead and at the corners of your mouth and eyes (even the knuckles of your fingers and the veins on the backs of your hands, if you're going to be close enough to the audience) will all help put the characters in their proper age ranges.

BTW, our Tintinabula was a grandmother...but you'd never have known it!

All the best of luck!!

My life may be weird, but at least it's not boring.

Bastet's Paradox: every cat is the center of the universe.

The Capitol Steps: They put the 'mock' in Democracy!!

Come along, Senex, and carry my bust with pride!

Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]