The Resource For Musicals

A Funny Thing Happened On the Way To the Forum Forum

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Which one? Can't decide! 
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Post Which one? Can't decide!
I'm not sure if this really belongs in the category, so forgive me if it doesn't. This summer, a community theatre is producing A Funny Thing... and West Side Story and I'm not sure which one to audition for, if I even decide to audition for one. I know I really couldn't do both because my summers get really busy and I wouldn't have time for both. I've never done anything with this company before, but I saw their production of Footloose last summer and it was really good. So if any of you could offer any pro/cons about either of these to help me decide, I'd appreciate it. And I know this probably doesn't belong here. But if you could still please help, that'd be GREAT!

Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:44 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Are you a girl or a guy? Are you likely to get a lead or ensemble? Do you like to dance?

Off the top of my head, West Side is a much bigger dance show than AFTHOTWTTF. I'd choose West Side, because I like the show better.

Edit: I just notice your username. So if you're a dancing ensemble type girl, West Side is a better show for you, unless you're white and they're doing ethnic casting, because Jet girls don't get to do as much dancing. But still more than Funny Thing though, since I barely remember any dance (except a few comic short ones) in it.

Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:48 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Thanks. Yes, I am a dance ensemble type person. And yes, I'm white, but I doubt they'll cast ethnic except maybe for the leads because my city is pretty white.

Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:16 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Can't you audition for both and then decide? That way if you get a better part in one show...

Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:48 pm
Profile WWW

If you're a guy I would go for Forum as there aer better parts for guys in forum. If you're a girl i would go for West Side Story because there are better girl parts. This is just my opinion and i don't want anyone to flip out over the aforementioned statement. thank you.

Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:20 pm

Having been in '...Forum', I'm hardly a disinterested person, but I'd say to try for '...Forum'. It's true that there isn't much dancing in '...Forum', but each of the Courtesans has her own dance. If you prefer not to dance solo, try for one of the Gemini; they're supposed to be twins, and their dance is usually arranged so that each one's moves are a mirror image of the other's. In addition, the Courtesans are onstage practically the whole time, and have some really hilarious bits, especially during the Funeral Sequence and subsequent chase scene.

Keep us posted!

My life may be weird, but at least it's not boring.

Bastet's Paradox: every cat is the center of the universe.

The Capitol Steps: They put the 'mock' in Democracy!!

Come along, Senex, and carry my bust with pride!

Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:37 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I found out the dates for the shows and realized that I've got conflicts for West Side Story. So that makes my decision a lot easier!

Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:20 pm

Good luck with your auditions!! Let us know what happens. If you get a role, I *know* you'll have a blast!

My life may be weird, but at least it's not boring.

Bastet's Paradox: every cat is the center of the universe.

The Capitol Steps: They put the 'mock' in Democracy!!

Come along, Senex, and carry my bust with pride!

Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:29 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I found out more information about auditions and their cast will have 11 males and 8 females. I'm not sure I stand a chance since I've never auditioned with for this place before and also I'm not sure if I'm too young. They didn't have specify an age limit (that I saw), so I don't know if that means they're open to any age. I'm only 15, is that too young?

Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:28 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Having done West Side Story and Forum, I would say that their are pros and cons to each production. Neither are really ensemble shows so if you do get placed in the ensemble, in WSS you will be in about 3 or 4 numbers depending on wether or not you're a shark or a jet and in Forum, you'll only be in three tops if they even have an ensemble. If you are a dancer, I HIGHLY suggest doing Forum because the courtesan's each have a one minute at least long dance solo. And playing a courtesan is really fun, I was Vibrata! =D

Thu May 17, 2007 8:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]