The Resource For Musicals

A Funny Thing Happened On the Way To the Forum Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
A Funny Thing...Fourm-I'm completley serious 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post A Funny Thing...Fourm-I'm completley serious
So, I auditioned for "A Funny Thing Happend on the Way to the Fourm" at my school...I figured that I would get one of the courtisans, or maybe Domina or Miles if I was lucky...My school has an EXTREME shortage of boys though, so I also figured that they would get Hero, Pseudolus, Senex, Erronious, Lycus, and Hysterium(even though most of the boys aren't very good)...but boy was I suprised...the characters of Myles, Hysterium, and Pseudolus are going to be played by girls...My two good friends are Myles and Hysterium...the most amazing/unbelieveible news is that I got cast as Pseudolus! Im so excited, and also really scared, considering that the musical director is going to have to change the music to fit my range...anyway, does anyone have any advice for Pseudolous? any advice is welcome...thanks.

Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:01 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Congratulations! Psedulous is a great role! I'm actually shocked that you're doing Forum which such a shortage of guys!

Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:20 pm
Profile WWW

Congratulations on getting Pseudolus! I did '...Forum' several years ago, as Domina, and had a blast, as did all our cast.

Changing musical keys isn't anything new. It's done all the time to fit the vocal range of the performer, even in professional productions. Cross-casting isn't unusual, either, as long as the gender of the *character* isn't changed without permission in writing from the company that holds the performance rights.

'...Forum' is a Theater History lesson. It's based on three plays by Plautus, and the set is the same as all Roman comedies were done - the action takes place in the street in front of three houses. Dropping the curtain (as described in the directions) is historically correct, as the Romans didn't have any means of raising it the way we do today.

All the character names relate to the characters themselves. Miles Gloriosus (the title, btw, of one of the three plays) means 'the braggart soldier', which is exactly what Miles is. Senex means 'old man'; Domina means 'the woman of the house'; Philia is 'love' (in Greek, I believe). Hysterium is nervous, the Gemini are twins, Tintinabula has bells on her costume, and so on. I've seen the name Pseudolus translated as 'tricky', and that's exactly what he is. He'll do anything to gain his freedom, and he's always manipulating events and people, esp. Hysterium. So, use that as your jumping-off point.

Let us know how rehearsals progress. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. We'll do our best to answer them.

My life may be weird, but at least it's not boring.

Bastet's Paradox: every cat is the center of the universe.

The Capitol Steps: They put the 'mock' in Democracy!!

Come along, Senex, and carry my bust with pride!

Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:30 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Congratulations! Be funny, that's my advice. :D
You need the audience to fall in love with you, to be rooting for you all the way.

Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:20 pm

Yes, be funny, but don't go overboard. Play it absolutely straight. The play is funny enough as written. Go with your instincts, but be guided by your director.

Joann Worley (Laugh-In; voice of the Wardrobe in 'Beauty and the Beast') tells the story of a production of 'The Mikado' in which she was playing Katisha. She had started adding all kinds of 'shtick'. liking eating a tomato onstage while the Mikado was talking. One day, it suddenly dawned on her that what she was doing was detracting from what Gilbert and Sullivan had written, and was actually a detriment to the show.

BTW, it might interest you to know that Larry Gelbart, one of the creators of '...Forum', went on to create the series 'M*A*S*H'.

Enjoy the show!!

My life may be weird, but at least it's not boring.

Bastet's Paradox: every cat is the center of the universe.

The Capitol Steps: They put the 'mock' in Democracy!!

Come along, Senex, and carry my bust with pride!

Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]