The Resource For Musicals

A Funny Thing Happened On the Way To the Forum Forum

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
A Funny Thing...Fourm 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post A Funny Thing...Fourm
Hi...my school is doing a Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Fourm for the spring musical next year, and we are doing Seussical too... I know nothing about either of them...could someone help me, and tell me who to audition for? I am 5'2 1/2-5'3, I am considered slim/slender, I have brown eyes, longish brown hair and darker skin(gold not olive) my vocal range is Alto-soprano with belt, and i have been dancing and acting for about 10-11 years...oh yeah, I'm 15 (but will be 16 before both the shows start) and I will be a Sophmore in High School. The casting for the fall play has allready been decided, and I am Sylvia in The Two Gentelmen of Verona...(my school show performs in early Oct. we like to get a head start) Also, does anyone have a good audution song...Alto-2nd Soprano with belt? thanks...I know its a lot to ask, but any help would be appreciated.

Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:19 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Perhaps one of the courtesans... is there a girl who looks like she could be your twin? Then you two could be the gemini.

Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:55 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Well for Forum, I would say your best bet would be Phillia. She is the absent-minded young romantic lead. Her stuff is high, but can be done in legit. For Seussical, I would reccomend auditioning for Gertrude. By far, the best female part in the show. Audition with "Times Like This" from Lucky Stiff. It shows timidness but also growth in the character that turns into independance. A great song! Let us know how it goes. Good Luck!!

Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:27 pm
Profile YIM

I suggest you go to the Music Theater International website for a synopsis of ...Forum. There used to be several synopses or links to the site on this forum before it got revamped. However, if you have trouble finding it, let me know, and I'll give you a quick run-down. You could also try your local library for a copy of the script. Dead last on the list of suggestions is to watch the film version (mainly for Zero Mostel and Jack Gilford [OBC] and Leon Greene [OLC]), but it doesn't do justice to the show, and changes too much around, including leaving out half the songs!!. However, Michael Crawford (yes, he of POTO) makes a very nice Hero, and Buster Keaton is lovely as Erronius.

Some trivia for you: Richard Lester (the credited director) apparently couldn't work with Zero Mostel, and quit after about a month. I understand that Buster Keaton took over as director, and anyone whose familiar with his work can see trademark Keatonisms in the film, including the bit where Erronius decides to complete the seven runs around Rome, and winds up running on the outer walk-way of a grain mill.

Anyway, best of luck to you. Whatever role you get, enjoy it!

My life may be weird, but at least it's not boring.

Bastet's Paradox: every cat is the center of the universe.

The Capitol Steps: They put the 'mock' in Democracy!!

Come along, Senex, and carry my bust with pride!

Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:33 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

If i was you i would go for seussical. There isnt really much for girls to do in forum. Seussical is great for girls! And is a fab show!
Audition songs you could sing 'now that ive seen her' from miss saigon. Its a great song! xxx

Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:43 am
Profile WWW

Actually, there's a lot for girls to do in '...Forum'. True, the Courtesans only have one line between them, but they have a lot of singing, some dancing, their reactions to other characters are important, and they have a major role in the chase at the end. The personality of each Courtesan is different, and it requires a lot of talent to get that across without using words. Philia is a charming airhead, and Domina wears the pants in her family. I was Domina a few years ago, and the scene between her and Miles in Act II is a classic of talking at cross purposes.

Besides, it's one hilarious show!!

My life may be weird, but at least it's not boring.

Bastet's Paradox: every cat is the center of the universe.

The Capitol Steps: They put the 'mock' in Democracy!!

Come along, Senex, and carry my bust with pride!

Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]