The Resource For Musicals

A Funny Thing Happened On the Way To the Forum Forum

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
BAD audience! 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post BAD audience!
We put on a production of forum about a month ago and had very poor audience numbers! I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem? It was such a great show and the people who did see it LOVED it!

Wed May 17, 2006 7:10 am
Profile WWW

When we did '...Forum' a few years ago, when only had 18 people opening night. (Of course, we can only seat 99 people at the best of times; we're not called Coach House Players for nothin' - our building is a late 19th-early 20th century carriage house!) Actually, that wasn't too bad, considering we'd just had a snowstorm. (We've since switch our annual musical to Autumn to avoid that...) There was one fellow who was laughing so hard, we thought of offering to let him see the show free for the rest of the run, just to the the audiences going. LOL

My life may be weird, but at least it's not boring.

Bastet's Paradox: every cat is the center of the universe.

The Capitol Steps: They put the 'mock' in Democracy!!

Come along, Senex, and carry my bust with pride!

Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:12 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

It's always rough when the audience is small... but it can be just as bad when you have a full house but they are totally unresponsive!

I've had my fair share of interesting audiences.
One time a man had a heart attack during a show and we had to stop the show so he could be taken away by ambulance. Once he was taken out we resumed the show, but it just wasn't the same.

There was the time that we had a terrible storm and the power went out. No one knew what to do, so we just kinda kept singing while the pianist (who was playing on keyboard) felt his way over to the dusty piano in the corner and started playing along... in the dark!

Another time a fire alarm went off and we had to evacuate the entire theatre. When we came back in, the scene was re-started, and everyone was tense and totally out of it.

Then, of course, there was the time that I was an audience member for a friend's show... and I was ONE of a grand total of FIVE in a house that seats 300. When I got there, I was the last one of the five to arrive and I thought I was early, so I happily took a seat way down front. As the show started and no one else had arrived, I regretted sitting so close because they all started playing the show right to ME and I was SO embarrassed!

Careful on the way home. Turning out.

Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:12 am
Profile YIM
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I recently did Forum at my high school in the fall and played Vibrata, and audiences varied. We had small numbers opening night, I'd say about 250 in a auditorium that seats 600 - but we barely advertised at all because we weren't positive if the show was going up are not. The smaller audiences were much more responsive, though. They laughed at everything! It was so great! Then, the larger audience's laughed but not nearly as much. Our matinee performances were kind of slow though, their were a lot of older people in the audience who didn't understand the innuendos and crude humour.

Thu May 17, 2007 8:48 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Main Role: Performer
We had the same problem. I think it was because not many people knew the show.

It was such a shame because the people who did come to watch it, loved it!x

Thu May 17, 2007 10:45 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Yeah, we're having the same trouble and our show is next month!

We were told its "not box office", but for our 5 night run, we've rougly 2 nights worth of people, its terrible!

I think its because people dont know the show, and because of its awful name!

Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:56 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Actually, more people know the show than you might expect. The 1996 revival played to packed houses. Also, the title is the tag for jokes that dates back *at least* to vaudeville. Even the British show 'The Avengers' had an episode called 'A Funny Thing Happened to Me on the Way to the Railway Station' (or something like that, anyway).

Maybe your local Barnes & Noble would let your cast do a couple songs (in costume, of course) to help get the word out?

Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:00 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Pehaps in the US its more well known, but I meant here in the UK. I mean, most folk have heard of the phrase/term "a funny thing happened on the way to the forum" but probably couldnt say if it was a play, a song, a film etc, and if they knew it was a play, they probably wouldnt know what it was about.

Lack of knowledge I think is why there's lack of ticket sales.

And Im not sure we have Barnes and Noble in the UK.

JelliclePat wrote:
Actually, more people know the show than you might expect. The 1996 revival played to packed houses. Also, the title is the tag for jokes that dates back *at least* to vaudeville. Even the British show 'The Avengers' had an episode called 'A Funny Thing Happened to Me on the Way to the Railway Station' (or something like that, anyway).

Maybe your local Barnes & Noble would let your cast do a couple songs (in costume, of course) to help get the word out?

Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:42 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Sorry, TR; didn't realize you were in the UK. Maybe I'd better start reading the profiles. <sigh>

It's sad that more folks aren't aware of '...Forum' over there. The original West End production featured the late, great Jon Pertwee as Lycus. It must have been hilarious!

Well, maybe you don't have Barnes & Noble, but maybe another large bookstore would be inclined to help. B&N makes a point of working with the community. In fact, tomorrow, our local one is allowing our local ballet company to perform their piece from the dance festival we're hosting Saturday night. For a chain store, they're very good that way.

I guess you've just got to talk it up as much as you can. The film version (with Pertwee in a minor role written just for him) is available on video, and probably DVD, as well. Maybe you could suggest that people watch it. The show won't be as spectacular as the film, but the film doesn't do justice to the show, either.

Best of luck!!

Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]