The Resource For Musicals

A Funny Thing Happened On the Way To the Forum Forum

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Philia Tips 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Philia Tips
I have auditions for Forum in February. My hair is short and dark. I'm already growing it out, my natural color is blonde. I'm second soprano/low alto but can sing 1st soprano... I don't know what you'd call me. I can go pretty high but also really low. I'm not skinny, I guess I'm average with a little (very little) meat on the bones with curves to complete the picture.
Anyway. Auditions, as I was saying, is in February. What tips do people have for me to get this part? How to act, sing, look (especially look). It's a community theatre and it's very political. Thanks.

Last Show: A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum - Geminae

Favorite Role: Arsenic and Old Lace - Elaine Harper

Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:01 pm
Profile YIM
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Philia is a really funny part, in my opinion. I would say that she is something like Jeannie from the TV Show "I Dream of Jeannie". She easily attatches herself to people (she is a courtesan, after all) and is rather air-headed. Philia ia usually casted as a blonde (both in the 1966 film and the 1996 revival. I don't know about the OBC). Hope that helped... somewhat.

Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:54 pm
Profile WWW

For your audition, choose something that shows off your voice to its best advantage - something from an established musical or operetta for preference. Some directors like auditioners to choose something from another show by the same writers (if available); some prefer one choose a show by anyone *but* the same writers. Ask ahead of time if it's not announced. Be totally straightforward for the vocal audition; it's in the reading that you'll interpret character.

Read the script ahead of time, if you're not already familiar with the show, so that you can get a feel for it. If all else fails, watch the 1966 film version. It takes a lot of liberties with the script, and leaves out half the songs. Three of them are very indicative of character: 'Free' for Pseudolus (the most important song in the show), 'I'm Calm' for Hysterium (shows just how on edge he always is), and 'That Dirty Old Man' for Domina (shows that she's not just a witch; she's really a very sympathetic character).

Don't worry about looks at this point. Costume and make-up can make one look very different and help delineate character. If you've got presence and you fit what the director has in mind, you've got a good shot at the role.

If you don't get Philia, don't turn down any of the other roles if they're offered to you. Domina may not get much stage time, but she's a hoot to do. The Courtesans have one line between them, but they're onstage 90% of the time and do a *lot* of singing. The whole show is a riot, and one of the most perfect comedies ever written. Not bad, considering that the plays on which it's based are over 2,000 (yes, thousand) years old!

Good luck. Let us know more closer to time!

My life may be weird, but at least it's not boring.

Bastet's Paradox: every cat is the center of the universe.

The Capitol Steps: They put the 'mock' in Democracy!!

Come along, Senex, and carry my bust with pride!

Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:23 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Thank you for the tips on the song but we have pre-assigned songs when we audition at our theatre. It kinda sucks, I know. I think it's Lovely then That'll show him for callbacks. I'm having trouble with Lovely. If I make it vibrato-ey and such, it's kinda airy, verses I can kinda belt it louder. What do you think?

Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:11 pm
Profile YIM

Well...Philia *is* an airhead, so airy would be good for 'Lovely'. Save the belty voice for 'That'll Show Him'; it's more appropriate. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:44 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Philia
I played Philia several years ago and the director said that the reason I got it is because I played it as a character rather than an ingenue. If you are not naturally a first soprano, I think it will definitely help you sell the part. Break a leg!

Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:49 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

So, at the production meeting they said that they really wanted girls that are curvacious. I AM! Yay! One point me! Im getting my hair dyed it's natural color on Friday (carmel/blonde) with some highlights... I figure blonde will help. I just gotta get a little ditsy by then. Any other tips would be nice. What do you mean: "I played it as a character rather than an ingenue", popular?
Thank you all for all of your encouragement and help. I really want this part!

Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:17 pm
Profile YIM
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

When my high school did it, I felt Phillia was more nieve(sp), then kind of an air-head. Basically all her life she has been in this small world where names, counting, etc. weren't imporant.

Like the arts? Check out my new blog The Arts!!

Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:59 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

i recently saw an amazing production of forum that my sister did stage crew for
&& the philia they had was a blonde with a very strong mezzo voice
[or at least she sounded mezzo to me]
she was amazing at playing the ditzy, air-head sort of character
she had absolutely no shame so it was perfect
ughhh but i must say that senex && hystemium were INCREDIBLE !!
gahhh :]

gretel - where in the world are hansel&&gretel

isssss;;
auditioning at the moment

next auditionnn;;
callback sundayyy !
for OUAM

Sat May 06, 2006 4:02 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

my college did forum when i was a junior, and philia was a short latina with dark, dark hair and eyes. she was also an alto, so it wasn't the best casting choice. but it just goes to show you that looks don't necessarily matter when getting a part.

Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:38 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:32 pm

I don't think her age is ever given, but I think she would be in her late teens/early 20's. The only thing we know about her is that she and her brother were abducted by pirates 'in infancy' - which does not necessarily mean they were babies, btw. However, she and Miles should be close in age. When we did the show a few years ago, our Philia was a college student and our Miles was old enough to be her father, but hey!! you work with what you've got, right? <g>

Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]