Annie Forum

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Super weird 1982 "Annie" movie trivia, and a theor 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Super weird 1982 "Annie" movie trivia, and a theor
Dear "Annie" Fans,

1982 "ANNIE" MOVIE SPOILERS!

The internet is full of the idea that in the 1982 movie version of "Annie", Grace (played by Ann Reinking) almost never seems to show up onscreen without her abdomen area being obstructed from view by some object or another (Ie: A clutch purse, her hand, and even a lemonade pitcher)...

I've been thinking a great deal about that supposed "factoid". People have put forth ideas like "Ann Reinking must have been pregnant!", "The movie-makers must have had an obsession with her covering her tummy!", "She felt badly about her physical image, so she insisted upon obstructing her abdomen from view!", etc., but I don't think that ANY of those theories are true.

Why? Well, for starters, Ann Reinking's only child (a son) wasn't born until 1990. Secondly, those people who claim that Grace "hardly ever" appears onscreen with an un-obstructed tummy have forgotten the entire "Let's Go to the Movies" scene, during which Grace dances around, belly un-obstructed, in a slip and underpants, of ALL things! You'd think that someone whose abdomen was supposed to be obstructed from view wouldn't be dancing around in a fairly revealing/ clingy garment like a slip!

My theory is as follows:

"Annie" was meant to be a "family" movie, and so its erotic/ Freudian elements (Swimming pool water forshadowing lust, a full lemonade pitcher representing Grace's desire for Oliver, etc.) were meant to be subdued enough so that they wouldn't arouse suspicion in the eyes of parents across America.

Of course, the adults wouldn't have been "entertained" if SOME lustful elements of the movie hadn't been sort of obvious, so the movie-makers decided that by obstructing Grace's abdomen (a pseudo-erotic element of the body) during most of the movie, her most "erotic" scene ("Let's Go to the Movies") would seem all the more erotic, shocking, and whatever else, to adults, who would only subconsciously make the connection between the obstructed, and the suddenly un-obstructed, abdomen of Grace.

What do you think of the ideas, etc.?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
:idea: :?:

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:38 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

No.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:16 pm

Current Obsession: Too many to list.
Main Role: Fan
I think you think too deeply for movies...........

MDN's Superlative Voting Winner:Most Likely To Make You Laugh

Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:54 pm
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: Writing
I haven't seen the mvie in a long time. Who's Grace? Is she the one who tries to adopt Annie? I'm just making sure.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:12 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I haven't seen the mvie in a long time. Who's Grace? Is she the one who tries to adopt Annie? I'm just making sure.

She's Warbuck's secretary...the one who comes to the orphanage and picks Annie to stay at the mansion.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:40 am
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: Writing
elphieglinda16 wrote:

She's Warbuck's secretary...the one who comes to the orphanage and picks Annie to stay at the mansion.

Are you talking about when...oh! I get it now.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]