The Resource For Musicals

Annie Forum

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Roles for little boys? 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Roles for little boys?
What roles are there for little boys? The reason I ask is because a friend of mine's six-year-old son will be trying out for an upcoming production, so that leads me to believe that the director will have little boys in the show. My hope is that they won't be Orphans because Hannigan's orphanage houses specifically girls. What numbers would little boys be in (if any)?

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:18 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

In our youth production we had a couple of male orphans, also some young children played politicians and butlers aswell.

Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:20 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Shaw
Main Role: Performer
Some productions of Oliver! use girls as some of the apprentices/orphans (which I disapprove of). If some people do this I imagine some directors would cast male orphans in Annie. Thing is, in Annie's time period and setting there were male orphans. New York is a dangerous place. So is London. However, it's unlikely Fagin would ever have had female urchins who pick-pocketed for him.

Anyhoo, they may be considering male orphans in their production. That's probably what part he would get.

Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:09 pm
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Some productions of Oliver! use girls as some of the apprentices/orphans (which I disapprove of). If some people do this I imagine some directors would cast male orphans in Annie. Thing is, in Annie's time period and setting there were male orphans. New York is a dangerous place. So is London. However, it's unlikely Fagin would ever have had female urchins who pick-pocketed for him.

Anyhoo, they may be considering male orphans in their production. That's probably what part he would get.

Actually your completly wrong. Yes there would have been female orphans, but they would have been housed seperatly. But there is no reason to asume that Fagin's gang would not have been mixed. Nancy for instance is supposed to have started out as one of the gang. The current west end production of Oliver has mixed orphans, but only boys in Fagins gang. However in reallity it is much more likely to have been the other way round.

Last edited by mantarnia on Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:32 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

ActingDude17 wrote:

Actually your completly wrong. Yes there would have been male orphans, but they would have been housed seperatly. But there is no reason to asume that Fagin's gang would not have been mixed. Nancy for instance is supposed to have started out as one of the gang. The current west end production of Oliver has mixed orphans, but only boys in Fagins gang. However in reallity it is much more likely to have been the other way round.

In adition taken from the script of Oliver

FAGIN

(spoken)Come, come Nancy, civil words. Civil words, eh, Bill?

NANCY

(spoken) Civil words! You deserve them from me, don't you! 'Cause I was out on the streets for you when I was a child half his age, and I've been in the same trade, and the same service for fifteen years and don't you forget it!

Proof that Fagin used girls as well as boys.

Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:40 am

The trade Nancy has been in for years is prostitution, not pick-pocketing.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:24 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: Roles for little boys?
Apples2for10 wrote:
What roles are there for little boys? The reason I ask is because a friend of mine's six-year-old son will be trying out for an upcoming production, so that leads me to believe that the director will have little boys in the show. My hope is that they won't be Orphans because Hannigan's orphanage houses specifically girls. What numbers would little boys be in (if any)?

In the movie there are little boys in the street scenes, is it the same in the stage show? I can't remember.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:41 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I totally forgot about this thread! The production in question was three weeks ago and as it turned out, there was only one little boy in the show and he didn't show up until the very end.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:12 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Haha really? I can't even remember what part that is, it's been ages since I last saw Annie!

Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:02 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

The trade Nancy has been in for years is prostitution, not pick-pocketing.

I don't tink you're right. She says she has been in the same trade since she was half Olivers age. That would make her about six. It is much more likely that she is talking oubout Pick Pocketing, than Prostitution IMHO.

Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]