The Resource For Musicals

Annie Forum

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Unnecessary "Annie" songs 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Unnecessary "Annie" songs
"Annie" is by no means in my top 5, but still I consider the score to be pretty near perfection, with a few notable exceptions:

*"Annie"- I'm not entirely sure why they included this song. For one thing, I think it should have been placed before "New Deal for Christmas" to make it seem like a proper finale. On the other hand, I think a better choice for the finale would have been "We Got Annie" (like at the end of the 1982 film version).
*"You Won't Be An Orphan For Long"- This song is, IMHO, the most unnecessary song in the show. For an Act I Finale, I can't believe the powers that be chose to tack this on. An Act I Finale is supposed to make you want to come back after intermission. I can't see hw anyone would want to come back after hearing this song.
*"We'd Like To Thank You,..."-More than a dozen songs were cut from the show for either A) slowing down the show, or B) detracting from Annie's story. And I don't think any song does that more than this. Its only saving graces for me are its catchiness and the fact that it empasizes the time period.

So, any thoughts on these songs, or others that you feel are unnecessary?

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:20 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: next to normal

All of them.

(Kidding). I'm only familiar with the 1982 film.

Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:52 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post Re: Unnecessary "Annie" songs
Apples2for10 wrote:
"Annie" is by no means in my top 5, but still I consider the score to be pretty near perfection, with a few notable exceptions:

*"Annie"- I'm not entirely sure why they included this song. For one thing, I think it should have been placed before "New Deal for Christmas" to make it seem like a proper finale. On the other hand, I think a better choice for the finale would have been "We Got Annie" (like at the end of the 1982 film version).
*"You Won't Be An Orphan For Long"- This song is, IMHO, the most unnecessary song in the show. For an Act I Finale, I can't believe the powers that be chose to tack this on. An Act I Finale is supposed to make you want to come back after intermission. I can't see hw anyone would want to come back after hearing this song.
*"We'd Like To Thank You,..."-More than a dozen songs were cut from the show for either A) slowing down the show, or B) detracting from Annie's story. And I don't think any song does that more than this. Its only saving graces for me are its catchiness and the fact that it empasizes the time period.

So, any thoughts on these songs, or others that you feel are unnecessary?

I agree with you on the first two - completely unecessary, but 'We'd Like to Thank You..." is one of the most significant songs of the entire show. It emphasises the time period, is one of the only songs with actual meaning. Without the introduction that it provides, there would be no need for "Tomorrow Reprise" or "New Deal..." Similarly, it adds meaning to "You're never fully dressed" and the social environment of the time.

It is so important to the show. In my humble opinion.

Wow. I just got fired up over an Annie song.

I'm going to go and listen to Sondheim now.

Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:11 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
We'd like to Thank You Herbert Hoover is very important. its the only soong that emphasizes the social climate at the time. plus it shows the hard times up front.

Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:27 pm
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

I personaly don't think there are any songs that should be cut. The show is not what I consider to be a particularly long show, and cutting anything will only shorten it more.

Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:41 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

personally, i dont agree. For one, you should do a little research, "Annie"IS before "New Deal" so you cant complain about that. two, "Won't be an orphan for long" is in ways Warbucks's ground breaking moment where he wants to finally give back to Annie and help her. and last, as for "we thank you herbert hoover" it was my favorite song in the show. when i did the show it was my favorite scene. but these are just my personal opinions

no offense but it doesnt sound like you know to much about the actual stage show

Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:37 pm

Current Obsession: Writing
Main Role: Fan
Quote:

All of them.

(Kidding). I'm only familiar with the 1982 film.

Which one is the 1982? Is it the one with the older theater scene? I don't remember.

Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:28 am

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
It's the one with Carol Burnett as Miss Hannigan

Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:42 am

It's the one with Carol Burnett as Miss Hannigan

Wait...I think I might be able to tell by cover rather than actors. Is the Annie on the front of the video version wearing a red dress with a white collar?

Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:55 am

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
I don't know...Burnett's the skinny Miss Hannigan. That's how I tell 'em apart. Burnett was slim, Kathy Bates, who played the part in the '99 movie was bigger. Also Hannigan in '82 was a bootlegger, and is usually seen stirring her liquor in the bathtub. They took that part out fo the plot for the '99 movie.

I just looked it up. '82 Annie has her in the red dress standing under a marquee with Sandy beside her and Warbucks behind her.

Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:46 pm

I don't know...Burnett's the skinny Miss Hannigan. That's how I tell 'em apart. Burnett was slim, Kathy Bates, who played the part in the '99 movie was bigger. Also Hannigan in '82 was a bootlegger, and is usually seen stirring her liquor in the bathtub. They took that part out fo the plot for the '99 movie.

I just looked it up. '82 Annie has her in the red dress standing under a marquee with Sandy beside her and Warbucks behind her.

Oh! Now I know which one you're talking about! I have that version at home. At first, I had somewhat of a vauge idea, but I wasn't sure, since it has been so long since I have last watched the movie all the way through. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:02 pm

Also Hannigan in '82 was a bootlegger, and is usually seen stirring her liquor in the bathtub.

In a negligee and garter belt, no less. Carol Burnett is always golden, and even saves this one.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next