The Resource For Musicals

Annie Forum

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Audition, but for which part? 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Most of my uptempo songs that I know really well were done with Annie's MD, so I'm guessing I need to look at other songs.

Here are some of the uptempo songs that I have in my rep that I am familiar with:

"Show Me" - My Fair Lady
"Something There" - BATB
"How Lucky You Are" - Seussical
"Jacob & Sons" - Joseph (however the Director has bad ties to this show that she might not be over yet)
"Everything's Coming Up Roses" - Gypsy
"It's a Grand Night for Singing" - State Fair
"My Favorite Things" - Sound of Music

I have a lot of sheet music so if none of these look good I have six weeks to learn something else, so if anyone has any suggestions that would be great!

I think either "Show Me" or "Everything's Coming Up Roses" would be fine. The others all strike me as either too recent or not in the right style (and possibly also overdone, I'm not an expert on that). But I definitely wouldn't do any ALW or BatB, and I'd probably extend that to Seussical as well.

Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:17 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
I was at another audition with the director yesterday and while we were waiting I told her my sister thought I was auditioning for the part of Annie and she said she has me in mind for Grace and then later she said, "or maybe Star to Be." It looks like those are my two choices, so no Lily. She said she really needs to read the script again. I was with her when she was talking to the guy she wants to audition for Daddy Warbucks and he's so much taller than I am. I'm 5'4" and he's at least 6'2" and much older. I look so little next to him! I'm guessing that his age and height is going to keep me from getting Marian if he gets Harold in the Music Man, so if that happens I'll concentrate on tailoring my audition for Star to Be.

Thanks again for everyone's help

Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:32 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Okay so I already know that an uptempo is preferred, but I have no one to rehearse with for my audition (plus I only have a week and a half until the auditions) so I am limited as to what I can sing without freaking out that I won't sing it well.

After speaking with the director, I am auditioning specifically for Grace (though I'll take another role if one is offered). My two options for my audition song are "Home" from BATB and "Once Upon a Dream" from Jekyll & Hyde. I've used "Home" for my other auditions with this group and sort of feel like I should retire it, but it suits my voice so well. However, I also sing and act "Once..." very well, too. So it's basically which one do you think suits Grace better? I'm guessing that "Once..." does, but I'd like other opinions, please.

Thanks again!

Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:47 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Definatly "Once". It seems better for you in this instance.

Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:27 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Thanks for everyone's advice. I didn't get the part, they gave it to a board member who IMO was not the best choice. They also did give the choreographer Lily even though she didn't audition and she is not a singer or an actress. Based on the nepotisim I have decided not to take the part offered, one of the Boylen sisters. I can't stand theatre politics and it would just make me miserable to be a part of the show knowing they care more about pleasing board/family members than they do putting on a good show.

Thanks again for all of your help, it is much appreciated!

Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:59 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

guys stop tell her star-to-be, it is a great role but she should really try for Lily St. Regis. A key thing with lily is when you do the readings, (if you can) add in the jerssey accent. if you dont know what that is watch the 1999 version of Annie. Kristin Chenoweth's voice is a good example

Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2