The Resource For Musicals

Annie Forum

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Audition, but for which part? 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Post Audition, but for which part?
I'll be auditioning for this show next month, and I have a dilemma... I am a legit/lyrical soprano, with a strong belt in my alto and mezzo range. I'm 26, but I look late teens/early twenties at the most when it comes to stage age. In order to be considered for a role I have to list it. I was planning to just put down "any," but the directors won't look at people for roles unless they specifically write them down, because they think you might not want the part! I ran into one of the directors recently and he told me to be sure to write down a role. So based on the above do I even fit into any of the roles or should I just write chorus on my sheet anyway?

On a side note, even though I look young they know my real age and last year wouldn't cast me in a role they wanted a teen for (one of the directors wanted me for the part anyway, but the other two insisted on using a teenager). I know that this year's director thought that I should have had the role that I didn't get last year, so I am not sure if my look/age will even paly into the casting or not. Such a pain!

Here are some links to recent pics from my last show so you can have a reference as to how "old" I look on stage...

http://thompsonpoint.exposuremanager.co ... _filtered0
http://thompsonpoint.exposuremanager.co ... filtered44
http://thompsonpoint.exposuremanager.co ... filtered13 (kind of far away, but shows me at my 'youngest')

Thanks for any insight you can give me, thanks!

Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:26 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Seems to me, based on your look and voice type, that you'd make a great Grace Farrell. You could probably also pull off Lily St. Regis, if you prefer a more fun, over-the-top character role. I'm afraid you look too young to pull of Miss Hannigan, and are definitely too mature looking for any of the older orphans IMHO.

Then again, this is actually a pretty good ensemble show for the women, so even if you don't get a principal role, you'll still have a good time doing the show.

Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:14 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I don't think that I'd be in contention for any of the orphans, lol. Though the director did joke about casting me or one of my friends (who is 39!) as Annie, when I ran into her last week.

Lily could be fun, but there is a rumor that the role has been earmarked for the choreographer.

I had thought about trying for Grace, but I wasn't sure if I looked old enough. Does Grace have to dance a lot? In the 1982 film Grace danced, but I don't recall her dancing in the 1999 film version that's closer to the Broadway show. I'm not much of a dancer so that could make a difference.

Thanks for your help so far. :D

Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:59 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I guess it depends on what the director/choreographer have in mind, but in the productions I've seen, Grace doesn't do much dancing at all. And I definitely think you look mature enough to pull it off.

Bummer about the choreographer possibly getting first dibs at Lily. I had soooo much fun playing her, and I'll bet you would too.

I'd say put down Grace and Lily on your audition sheet, but let them know you'd also be willing to take an ensemble role, and see what happens.

Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:24 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:08 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:45 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I thought Grace immediately as well, but Star-To-Be is also a good option if you for some reason want to put down a smaller role. Star-To-Be is awesome!

Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:35 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The choreographer isn't a singer, or much of an actress, but she's played Lily before (back in '96) and she's the sister-in-law of the director, so unless for some reason she doesn't want it this time, it's pretty much hers.

I'm not worried about role size, the ensemble is fine with me. To be honest, this group is not very well organized and I think I'd be happier with a smaller role so that I don't get stressed out over things that I can't control! So, if Star to Be isn't a dance role I'll probably put in for her, Grace and Lily-just in case. :)

Now to find a song that is versitile enough to show that I can play any of those parts! Hmmm.... should I go with an uptempo or a ballad? No belt, belt, or mix?

Thanks again for all your help. :D

Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:51 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Most of the songs in Annie are up-beat so I would go for that. If you're allowed to, bring two contrasting songs, though. :D

Good luck, Annie!

Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:22 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I don't think that I'd be in contention for any of the orphans, lol. Though the director did joke about casting me or one of my friends (who is 39!) as Annie, when I ran into her last week.

Has anybody heard the HILARIOUS Forbidden Broadway song about that? The one that starts:

I'm thirty years old
Tomorrow,
And I haven't worked since I played Annie
When I was ten!

Wish it were on YouTube. Pretty funny.

Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:03 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Most of my uptempo songs that I know really well were done with Annie's MD, so I'm guessing I need to look at other songs.

Here are some of the uptempo songs that I have in my rep that I am familiar with:

"Show Me" - My Fair Lady
"Something There" - BATB
"How Lucky You Are" - Seussical
"Jacob & Sons" - Joseph (however the Director has bad ties to this show that she might not be over yet)
"Everything's Coming Up Roses" - Gypsy
"It's a Grand Night for Singing" - State Fair
"My Favorite Things" - Sound of Music

I have a lot of sheet music so if none of these look good I have six weeks to learn something else, so if anyone has any suggestions that would be great!

Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:57 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next