The Resource For Musicals

Annie Forum

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
too old for annie? 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post too old for annie?
I'm fourteen and 5"5 (165cm ish) with a good voice (mezzo with good belting ability) have been dancing since I was 3 (tap, jazz, classical and hip hop) and have been in 11 other shows. Am I too old for annie? I know I could sing, act and dance the part...but i dunno.

Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:04 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

While it really would depend on the talent pool and the director, you may be too tall, as Annie is supposed to be eleven. However, do not let this discourage you! Try out for Annie anyway. You may end up as one of the orphans (who are fun!) or, in some products, Star-To-Be (the best role, in my opinions).

Ellen Marie

Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:03 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Age isn't usually the determining factor. More how you look and your size. And, who auditions for the other parts.

If it's an adult show, it depends on how you look with the Daddy Warbucks, and to a lesser degree, the Miss Hannigan. And what other girls they have for orphans. There needs to be orphans who are bigger and smaller than Annie.

One of the first productions we saw of Annie had a 14-year-old who was not short, but very slight. The first production my daughter did of Annie had 4 girls split the role over 14 performances. She was 9, the oldest was 18 - SHE was too big for the role, and it was almost incestuous between her and Warbucks. The 2nd time she played Annie was with a youth production, she was 10 and was taller than Miss Hannigan, but it worked fine.

Audition anyway, there are other fun roles in the show. If not cast as Annie, you could play Pepper, the oldest orphan. Or Star to Be, who has a big solo in NYC. Most shows we've seen have the actors playing several parts - like a maid, a Hooverville person, a Boylan sister, and a Cabinet member.

If you do go for Annie, don't try to make yourself look ridiculously young in the audition, but do sing a young, very upbeat song.

Good luck.

Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:07 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I'm 15 and about 5'1", and I've been asked to play the part of Annie in two different productions next year.

I'd say: GO FOR IT! :D

Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:44 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

If it's an adult show, it depends on how you look with the Daddy Warbucks
Yup. When I was in Annie, they lined up all the shorter girls next to me at the callbacks and then had each one sing the refrain of "tomorrow" and they kept the best ones in the line and kicked out the worst. Height in relation to Warbucks is important.

Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:50 pm
Profile WWW

they kept the best ones in the line and kicked out the worst.

Wow, that's a bit harsh!

Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:09 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

what_the_heck013 wrote:
they kept the best ones in the line and kicked out the worst.

Wow, that's a bit harsh!

that's how it's been done at every Annie audition I've been to, though.

Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:10 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

You're in the exact situation I was 3 mths ago. I'm 14 and 5'5, a mezzo with good belting ability too. I got ANNIE!!! I'm sure you can do it. Just be spunky in your audition. You'll do great. :D

I''m part of the MdN Healthy Lifestyle Challenge!
Sings from her hoo-hoo.

Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:33 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Didn't feel the need to start a new thread since this one was already here :D

Anyway, I just discovered that this really good theatre company I've worked with twice in the past is doing Annie next year.

I will have just turned sixteen by the time auditions come around. HOWEVER, I am VERY short (five feet tall) and extremely red-headed and curly (and willing to cut it short).

I have absolutely no doubt that I can sing, act and dance the part better than the vast majority of any of the younger girls who would audition. I have the belt and head voice/belt blend down... I've sung all the songs and danced all the dances in various revues and such... and as for the acting, that will probably be the easiest aspect of the audition for me.

I can act young very convincingly, and I can easily look 11 or 12, especially from the audience and with makeup and costumes. People often mistake me for a middle-schooler anyway :lol: I have been turned down for several parts that are actually in my age range because of my youthful looks and my height :(

also, I've worked with the director before, and have a good relationship with her... and she does NOT like working with young kids. she has a tendency to cast as old as possible... college kids in high-school age parts, high-school age kids in children's parts, etc. However, she has made exceptions to this in the past... so that's not a guarantee.

what do you all think?

Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:04 pm

You sound like you'd make a really good Annie! Honestly, real age shouldn't matter. If you look the part and can perform it there is no reason why you shouldn't be considered. Good luck, let us know :D

Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:57 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Auditions probably won't be til October or something... but I'll let you all know then

Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:37 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I'd audition, I was Annie twice, once when I was 8 and once last year when I was 12. I'm short for my age and have a really good belty-mezzo voice for my age, so that's probably why I got it. But hey- if you have the talent and can pass for a 10 year old, you should make it! Good luck!

Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next