The Resource For Musicals

Annie Forum

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
The Disney Movie 

Which is better: the original movie, or the Disney one?
Original 45%  45%  [ 30 ]
Disney 55%  55%  [ 37 ]
Total votes : 67

The Disney Movie 

I wouldn't have said anything, but the thread was brought back, after all.

Luc wrote:
Welcome to Disney. Everything has to be 100% squeaky clean or else everyone goes ballistic.

Not necessarily in recent years. They talk about bras and making out and other such thirteen-year-old trivia on the Disney channel. And Mulan's tits were a major plot point. Even as early as "Hercules," Meg was the classic vamp.

Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:46 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Location: In the woods far from civilisation (yet still with electricity? hmmm...)
Main Role: Performer
hate both, always will, but i prefer the original because it's closer to the musical

[color=#80BFFF]lalalalala![/color]
I'm BACK! [color=#8040FF]But I need to work out a picture to put here...[/color]
[size=150]Team Cathy! :D[/size]

Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:58 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

hate both, always will, but i prefer the original because it's closer to the musical

Isn't the Disney version closer to the musical?
Anways, I like the Disney one better. I'm a huge fan of Kristen Chenoweth and I think she was AMAZING as Lily.

Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:53 pm

The original cast was by far the best..the great albert finney, the comic genius of carol burnett..not to mention... tim curry, bernadette peters, edward herrman,geoffrey holder,ann rienking and peter marshall.

Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:59 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I prefer the 1980's version because, although it's not like the stage show, it works better in the medium of film.

Personally I don't think that the films need to be identical to the the stage version "to stay true". Film and theatre both tell stories, yet, they are different media and that needs to be taken into account when telling the story. That's why I believe that the 80's version does stay true to the story.

JUST A LITTLE BIT, JUST A LITTLE BIT

R-E-S-P-E-C-T project

Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:11 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

When I saw the original movie in 1982, my nine-going-on-ten-year old brain liked it...but now I prefer the 1999 version.

The 1982 version had some good performances, but took out many good songs (including "N.Y.C.", my favorite!) and put in lame ones. Plus, it took it out of the Christmas setting. And what was the deal with only having "Tomorrow" over the beginning and ending credits?

This page here makes some good points about how the 1982 movie overdid things and undermined some moments. Huston had never directed a musical, and it showed.

By contrast, the 1999 TV movie was smaller and more intimate, like the musical. It may have cut "We'd Like To Thank You, Herbert Hoover" and the visiting-the-White-House subplot, but maybe it was best to just keep the focus on Annie and her struggles. It reinstated two of the best songs, kept the Christmas setting, and gave Victor Garber and his beautiful singing voice a chance to shine. And I'm not about to complain about historical accuracy when AUDRA MCDONALD is singing! And it had Kristin Chenoweth and Alan Cumming to boot!

Some have complained that this movie softened Hannigan too much. I don't really see how they did. They may have taken out her drinking and physical abuse, but in this version, she knew all along that Rooster planned to kill Annie when the scheme had gone through, and not only didn't she protest (as Carol Burnett did, with her change of heart), she took a more active role in the scheme! (During those few seconds when they were pulling Annie out of the room, I really got the sense that she was in danger of her life.)

And maybe Hannigan didn't beat the children in this version, but is physical labor on little sleep and almost-empty stomachs any better? I'd say it's worse!

(Oh, and about the whole toning down of the Roosevelt/New Deal subplot? I like that whole plot in the stage show, but the strip's creator, Harold Gray, would have spit nails if he'd seen it! He absolutely LOATHED F.D.R. and the New Deal!)

Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:43 am
Profile WWW

because harold gray was a no good republican elitist.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:16 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

You've got something there. I read this book on the history of the character and comic strip. There were moments when Daddy Warbucks would insinuate that he had his own way of, shall we say, "dealing with" captured villains. And he was presented as perfectly within his rights to do so!

Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:58 am
Profile WWW

Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:22 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
I wouldn't have said anything, but the thread was brought back, after all.

Luc wrote:
Welcome to Disney. Everything has to be 100% squeaky clean or else everyone goes ballistic.

Not necessarily in recent years. They talk about bras and making out and other such thirteen-year-old trivia on the Disney channel. And Mulan's tits were a major plot point. Even as early as "Hercules," Meg was the classic vamp.

Even earlier that that...let's not forget the deliciously infamous "Hellfire" sequence in Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:16 pm

Hellfire was easily the best disney song/sequence ever made.

Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:48 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Overcoming illness
Hellfire was easily the best disney song/sequence ever made.

Hence why I referred to it as "deliciously" infamous. lol

Actually, I haven't watched that film for quite some time...they rarely air it on television nowadays.

Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4