The Resource For Musicals

Annie Forum

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
The meanest Annie! 
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Honestly, our Annie wasn't mean - a delightful and sweet child.
All of the orphans were a bit bitter, but there was a one little girl who was particularly bitter. There was a time when they needed Annie to practice and a girl suggested that she could read Annie's lines and she said, "DON'T. I.. want.. to.. be.. Annie."

Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:20 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I was in the show last year, and our Annie was really sweet (a little anxious sometimes, but really talented). She was actually positive she wouldn't get the role at auditions, because there was a 6th grader who she felt was better (the other girl was pretty good, but ended up as the Star-to-Be). For her friends, it was kind of an "I told you so" moment when the list went up.

Quote:
The girls who play Annie are pretty much no different than any other little girls that are cast in theatrical roles...they're either going to be sweet little girls...terrifying little girls...or somewhere in between...as is the balance of all show-biz kids out there in any show. =)

Definitely true. It's really a kind of the luck-of-the-draw as to whether your Annie/Orphans/etc. is/are nice, just as in any show.

Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:38 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I played Annie when I was eleven, and a lot of girls who were cast HATED me for getting the part. I started out excited and just happy to be in the production, but so many girls made fun of me and made up lies about me. It got really ugly.

I ended up not being close to anyone in the production except the girl playing Miss Hannigan and the guy playing Warbucks. Maybe people said I was mean or aloof or a bitch or something, but I really wasn't. After the musical was over, people still held it against me and blamed me for everything. My reputation never really recovered.

So I think the disappointment of the other girls in the cast can sometimes contribute to a perception that the girl playing Annie is a "diva" or a "brat" or whatever.

Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:55 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Our old Annie was a bitch, but she left and I love our new Annie. She's awesome!

Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:10 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I've been in "Annie" three times, each time as Pepper. One of the Annies was a very, very, very HYPER young lady. She was a really great friend of mine, actually, but she was such a drama queen in a different respect of the phrase. She was always saying things like, "Elaine is REALLY mean! She is a REALLY mean lady, she is not just pretending! She pushed me out of the glass door and into the sidewalk where I hurt and bled all over, and then she LAUGHED!" (Elaine was our Ms. Hannigan.) Her making up stories like this was a rather annoying habit.

One of the other Annie's was perfectly fine herself, but her mother drove people crazy. "MY DAUGHTER SHOULD BE A STAR! WHERE ARE THE MOVIE DEAL PEOPLE?" Geeze, your daughter just wanted to have fun.

All of the Annie's were nice, when you got right down to it.

Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:32 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Our Annie was nice enough to the 'grown ups', but for costume changes she would stomp into the room, throw her dress at one of us (the orphans) yell for us to hang it up and bring her her curly wig.

She confused me alot because she would be all sweet and nice and bff then scream about how she was the star, not any of us. Her mom was pretty much the same way.

Annie wasn't near as bad as one of the orphan ensemble girls, who had a fight with another girl about a hairbrush or something and so dumped her entire water bottle on the poor girl's rich/party dress that was needed in the next scene. To make things worse, we (me and the mean girl) looked pretty much identical, so I got the heat for it while she laughed hysterically. not the best opening night ever, but it was straightened out eventually.

current role: Belle!
and now Duchess in Aristocats!

Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:22 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Sounds like the first Duffy I worked with. (Heh, Pepper and Duffy really were enemies.) I guess I was immature myself, because on the last night, she had this shirt that she pinned up and wrote "SIGN SCARLETT'S SHIRT" in big letters on cardboard above.

I shrugged, and wrote "NO" on the shirt. That was my way of signing it. Of course, a few minutes later, "Why did Prue sign 'NO' on my shirt?!"

Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:15 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

dumped her entire water bottle on the poor girl's rich/party dress that was needed in the next scene

That's despicable. Not only because that was rude to the girl, that was disrespectful of the show they were trying to put on.

Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:21 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Our Annie wasn't a diva at all. Very sweet;I got very close to her. The orphans weren't really jelous of her, of course, they were like, 5-6 years older than her. But we all got along pretty well.

Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:16 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I was in Annie my sophmore year and our Annie was tre nice,
although the entire thing was precasted. lmao.

(you know it's been precasted when at the auditions the director "just happens" to use the only two girls who got called back for the part as the example of how short you'd have to cut your hair. lol. i was the only one to pick up on that small detail.)

Annie was one of the funnest shows I've done though. I loved it.

Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3