The Resource For Musicals

Fiddler On the Roof Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
chava or hodel? 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post chava or hodel?
which role is better between the 2? I know that hodel has a solo, but otherwise do they have fairly equal stage time? Are there any other duets/solos that they have (aside from matchmaker)?

Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:04 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: chava or hodel?
Mollysmom wrote:
which role is better between the 2? I know that hodel has a solo, but otherwise do they have fairly equal stage time? Are there any other duets/solos that they have (aside from matchmaker)?

I'd say they have about equal stage time. Chava has little singing apart from Matchmaker; Hodel has Now I Have everything and a verse of Sunrise, Sunset, both as duets with Perchik, and the solo Far From The Home I Love, in which she does all the singing, with dialog from Tevye. Chava leads the ballet, in which both older sisters join her, and all 3 of their respective suitors.

The big difference: Hodel marries Perchik, who is also Jewish. Taken aback as he is at first by Perchik's much more brash approach than Motel, Tevye can still live with it. He already likes to Perchik, who tested his receptivity to new ideas and proved it greater than he expected; thus he relents. (As a side effect, Tevye is also prompted to reassess his own 25-year marriage in Do You Love Me?) When Hodel leaves to join Perchik in Siberia, he has faith in Perchik.

On the other hand, Chava really pushed the envelope by hooking up with Fyedka, a Gentile. Tevye's betrayal on learning of their marriage is probably aggravated by her having acted secretly and against his expressed wishes. Thus his angry declaration: "Chava is dead to us, we will forget her!" A partial reconciliation may be in store as they leave Anatevka; Chava and Fyedka come around to say they too are leaving, that Fyedka will not do the Tsar's dirty work and will not be driven away by silence. When it's almost too late, Tevye muttered under his breath, "God be with you", which Tzeitel relayed. Tevye must have realized that Fyedka is a mensch - something the Constable, the one Russian he had always trusted as a friend, was not, but that's another story.

Michele Marsh and Neva Small played Hodel and Chava respectively in the movie; both did so creditably, although Michele wasn't much of a singer. Julia Migenes-Johnson's rendition of Far From The Home I Love on the OBC album is really haunting.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:00 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Main Role: Performer
When i auditioned for Fillder on the Roof, i really wanted Hodel. I got Chava, which was still happy about. I grew to love the character more and more. The way she decides to be with the one she loves, to ahve a father turn her back on her. It's heartbreaking and challenged me as an actor.

Both characters are good. Chava just holds a bit closer to my heart :)

Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:03 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Personally, I like both. It depends on what you're better at doing; acting or singing. Hodel has a GORGEOUS solo song that could have every audience member crying if done right. Then Chava has the most heartbreaking lines after she tried to marry and Tevye told her no. In my opinion, Chava has the best opportunity for character development but if you like to sing more then Hodel is the role for you.

Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:00 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: The Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables
Main Role: Performer
We're in rehearsals for a local production of Fiddler on the Roof right now. :) I tried out for both, and got Chava (who I had wanted to play for years). Hodel and Chava's stage time is fairly equal in the beginning, though Hodel gets more lines. However, towards the beginning of the second act, Hodel leaves for Siberia, and since Tzeitel is already married, most of the rest of the show is dedicated to Chava's story. Hodel gets more singing (including "Far From the Home I Love", which is gorgeous), but Chava gets a very emotional dance scene. In the area of acting, in my opinion Chava is more challenging due to the fact that her elopement and subsequent rejection is the climax of the show, though Hodel also has to be an excellent actress in order to carry off her final scene. Really, they're both great roles - it just depends on whether you want more singing (with an excellent solo song) or the most dramatic scene (and a beautiful dance). :)

Past roles: Strawberry Seller/Chorus (Oliver!), Chorus (Annie)

Future dream roles: Christine (The Phantom of the Opera), Eponine (Les Miserables), any Disney leading lady.

Voice type: 1st Soprano (F3 to E6)

Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]