The Resource For Musicals

Fiddler On the Roof Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
sphrintze and bielke 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post sphrintze and bielke
I know these are small roles, but what exactly do they do? Do they sing in matchmaker, or any of the other songs? Do they have lines, or just a lot of stage time? Are there any other roles for an 11 yr. old, or would this be about it? (Could an 11 yr. old pull off chava?)

Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:29 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: sphrintze and bielke
Shprintze and Bielke are the 2 youngest girls, who represent Tevye and Golde's future in America. In the movie they sing the 2 closing lines of Matchmaker. Near the end Yente has lined up matches for them, just as the Constable arrives with the eviction order. Beyond that, they are only minor characters.

Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:14 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: sphrintze and bielke
I think in the musical they have a little bit more singing in Matchmaker - they get to sing in group parts and I think have a couple of solo lines each (though I don't remember entirely because they had them sing both sets of lines as a duet in our production...plus it was nearly 10 years ago! :shock: ) They also have a couple of lines. I remember Shprintze says 'Can I go outside and play?' and Bielke says 'Can I go too?'. I think I can also recall Bielke saying 'Papa's home!'. They also have a fair bit of stage time, mainly playing games and running around a giggling. Plus they're in songs like Tradition, Sabbath Prayer, Sunrise Sunset and Anatevka. Plus there is the scene towards the end when Yente finds matches for them.

I kind of doubt that an 11 year old could do Chava. Firstly, she needs to seem older than Shprintze and Bielke - so they would have to cast very young kids for that to be the case! Secondly, she has to be old enough for it to be believable for her to fall in love. The idea of Yente finding husbands for the two little girls is supposed to be ridiculous - but Chava is genuinely in love. I don't think that would be believable from an 11 year old. Also, Chava is quite a demanding role acting-wise. She has one scene in particular that I think would need a lot more maturity than an 11 year old could deliver (no offence! ;) ). Finally, I think it's usually preferably to cast older people rather than kids (as they're usually more mature, experienced, have better attention spans, etc.).

Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]