The Resource For Musicals

Fiddler On the Roof Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Yente Advice 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Yente Advice
Hey.. thanks for your time
I have landed the role of Yente in " The Fiddler on the Roof" but i dont know where to start preparing and what i have to do to get ready. I have never had such a big role before. I was told to "make it my own." any suggetions about anything really that has to do with the character of yente would be awsome. Thanks for your Help! :D
And i am also really puzzled with how to get the "yiddish" accent.
Thanks
-grace

Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:29 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Stephen Sondheim, Falsettos
Main Role: Performer
Watch the movie A LOT. :] That should help with the accent. The Yiddish accent, I've discovered, is a lot harder than some other accents to pull off.
Sorry, that's all I can help with. :(
Good luck! Keep us posted!

Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:50 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Yente's name in Yiddish means busybody, and she certainly acts the part. The mere sight of her struck raw terror into Tzeitel's heart; she was secretly engaged to Motel. Not until after Tevye had arranged the marriage to Lazar Wolf did Tzeitel and Motel come out (Motel having blown one earlier attempt at asking for Tzeitel's hand). As word got out, the shock waves spread through Anatevka with an impact in those days roughly equal to 9/11 today. Yente got drawn into the argument that broke out at the wedding reception. Perchik blew the whistle by telling the truth, but his attempt backfired, creating even more controversy.

Later, Yente spread "The Rumor" about Perchik's arrest, having got the news by opening his letter to Hodel, then telling Tzeitel: "So it happened to be open!". The rumor of course got embellished and/or mangled a little more at each successive hand.

Finally Yente brought the prospective husbands for Shprintze and Bielke, but that was interrupted by the Constable bringing the eviction order. She then told Golde she was going to the Holy Land, where she would continue to ply her trade. She and Golde were good friends and confidantes.

I like to think that in Motel and Tzeitel's case, Yente got her comeuppance at the hands of the Matchmaker-in-Chief. Tevye dropped a clue to His identity in his monologue about Hodel and Perchik: "Did Adam and Eve have have a matchmaker? Yes, they did - and it seems these two have the same Matchmaker!"

Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:45 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: Yente Advice
This isn't really a reply so sorry. But congrats on Yente, that is actually my dream role! What song did you sing for your audition?

Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]