The Resource For Musicals

Fiddler On the Roof Forum

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Two younger daughters, Shprintze and Bielke 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Two younger daughters, Shprintze and Bielke
WHat about the two younger daughters, Shprintze and Bielke?
I feel that they never get enough credit!
Even if they don't have much lines, They still are in a lot of the scenes, just acting...
Would you consider them important roles?

Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:01 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I wouldn't exactly consider them "important." The most significant thing about them is that they could represent future change in family and society; Their love lives could be a lot easier than their old sisters were. Other than that they aren't particularly interesting or vital to the plot.

Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:09 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

In the musical, no... I don't think you could really concider them "important" parts unless you get very nit-picky about the story's details. Then and only then could you prpose them extremely important...

However, in the books they are very influential.... aspecially Shprintze... who goes as far as drowning herself because she can't be with the man she loves.

The musical does not give them enough infulence to make them important though...If you took them out, the story would still be the same, until the VERY end..

The Secret Garden- Mary (MPT)
Mamma Mia!- Sophie (ADA)

Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:04 pm

I've actually seen the show staged with Sprintze and Bielke completely eliminated. Tevye and Golde had three daughters, and with some minor changes in the dialogue, the two youngest were not missed. Actually, the end was more moving without the dialogue following the reunion with Chava. Golde kissed Tzietel and Motel goodbye and they set off in different directions. The final image was Tevye at center stage with his cart, laden with all his belongings; the lights focused around him and he turned in a half-circle watching Golde go out up left, Motel and Tzietel out up center, and Chava and Fyedka out up right; then light hit the fiddler on the roof, and he and Tevye reached out to each other; blackout. I have sometimes wondered why Sprintze and Bielke are included in the show... they don't serve much of a purpose beyond complicating it a little bit and creating a situation where you can't have adults only in the cast.

Perhaps if the stage show included Sprintze's story, and Bielke was set up to represent the future, the last hope of tradition, etc. But the show is already three hours long, the tragedy of Sprintze would have little impact and be overkill after the essential climax of Chava's disownment, and it's already enough of a challenge to cast three stair-stepped, competent teenaged daughters, without expanding that to five and starting Bielke at fifteen.

I've actually seen reference books on musical theatre that, in their summary of "Fiddler on the Roof," state that Tevye is a dairyman with three daughters. To be completely blunt, and sorry to any Sprintzes and Bielkes out there, the story is about Tzietel, Hodel, and Chava, and the others are a couple of little girls who peel potatoes in the first scene.

I could certainly do without seeing yet another production that adds the two youngest sisters to "Matchmaker."

Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:28 pm

Gahhh so I auditioned last night and they told me I was too young to play any of the "interesting" daughters. *sigh* But I got a callback for these two. I'm quite depressed about the whole thing, but I'm wondering - is it even worth it? I mean, from my memories of seeing the play these girls do literally nothing and are meant to be, like 12!! (I'm 18). I just don't feel like I'd gain anything. Thoughts?

Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:24 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"
It depends if it's a good theater you want to work with in the future, or how badly you want to do a show right now, I guess! ;)
If it's a good theater you want to get 'in' with, sure, take the small role and see what happens in the future. If not, then it's probably not worth your time.
That is weird though. do you look that young??

Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:52 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I tend to agree that Shprintze and Bielke are largely throwaway roles; either or both could be dumped with little or no harm. They have little dialog, and in the movie they join the older girls near the end of "Matchmaker". Yente's plans for their matches were abruptly cut short by the eviction from Anatevka.

Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:52 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I think the little sisters are cute, but not very important

Last edited by turtle12 on Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:51 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I just got the part of Bielke. I look way to young to play any of the lead sisters. I dont know whether the part is good or bad. After all, their are 50 people in the dance company that didn't even get actual characters. Does anyone know if I have any lines? We haven't gotten our scripts yet.
I really hope the productions includes my part in matchmaker because I really love that song.

Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:55 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
I just got the part of Bielke. I look way to young to play any of the lead sisters. I dont know whether the part is good or bad. After all, their are 50 people in the dance company that didn't even get actual characters. Does anyone know if I have any lines? We haven't gotten our scripts yet.
I really hope the productions includes my part in matchmaker because I really love that song.

I was woman number two in fiddler in high school I shared my mic pac with Shprintze and woman number one shared hers with Bielke, so you will have lines but not a million. (PS, we still call our Bielke, Bielke)

Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:08 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I was Bielke in Fiddler on the Roof Jr. and had one line, that went something like: "We're going on a train! We're going on a boat! We're going on a train! We're going on a -" [and then gets cut off by her mother, is it?].

Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:28 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Two younger daughters, Shprintze and Bielke
Even though people say that they could be taken out of the script, I think that they support some comedic relief. At the end if you didn't have the Matchmaker getting the girls enganged, it would go from Chava getting disowned to Anetvka and they need some comedy, a little laugh before the family gets more bad news. Also at the end with the "were going on a boat and train" it helps make the depressing scene a little less depressing. Also in the book there are 7 daughter so cutting more than 50% of the daughters would make the play less like the story. Also when Tevye says he has 5 "daughters" is a little bit more funnier than 3 daughters.

Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]