The Resource For Musicals

Fiddler On the Roof Forum

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Disasters, Mistakes, Pranks, etc.? 

Our Fruma made her entrance through a huge cloud of smoke, which set off the fire alarms on opening night. No one noticed for a long time, because there were strobe lights and wild music going anyway. Finally, people realized and the audience and cast all had to evacuate the building. It was raining outside. After the fire department came and cleared the building, the show resumed - the conductor turned around and announced to the audience that we would be picking up from a section of the score appropriately titled "The Curse."

Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:24 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

When I was in Fiddler (Chava) we had a very elderly man running our sound and lights. We had A LOT of problems for the first two weeks because he was actually falling asleep at the board or he would get really confused an press all of the buttons. Songs were fading in and out and sometimes the lights were so crazy it looked like a thunderstorm on stage.

The worst of these offenses was during the dream sequence. As we hid behind the bed waiting for the music to start we had a terrible realization, nothing was happening. The man at the board had fallen asleep and we had NO music. The actors decided to start the scene anyway, and we did the entire song to the sound of Fruma Sarah banging her cane so we could keep the correct tempo (luckily enough, she was also the music director).

Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:50 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Fiddler on the Roof - ensemble
Mame - ensemble
Singin'' in the Rain - hairdresser/dancer/ensemble
Currently: The Sound of Music - Ursula

Last edited by MeMyselfandI on Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:12 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

lol... OK, I will try to keep this somewhat short.
Well, we had a troublemaker in the show who played Sasha. Bielke carried around this rag doll throughout most of the show, but our Sasha had gotten his hands on it, tied a noose, and hung it on a tree. By the time we noticed... yeah, bad. He hasn't been in another show here.

Our "Rabbi's son" (totally forgot the character's name) wasn't overly friendly, but he was OK. Everyone kinda liked him... until my mom was doing research one night online for this guy at my sister's school who seemed like bad news. She clicked on "sex offenders in your area" and the Rabbi's son's picture came up. Uh-huh... he hasn't been in any more shows either.

Our Fyedka was such a sweetheart, but his girlfriend had broken up with him a few months ago, and he wasn't over it yet. So she worked backstage some and he'd follow her around like a sad puppy, but never missed cues... until one night he caught her making out with our Sasha and burst into tears... then had a cue. So hopefully the audience didn't realize our 19 yr. old Fyedka was crying.

There's more, but I'll leave it at that, unless you wanna hear about the time I ran right into a tree...

Apt about Sasha, since the character is supposed to be a troublemaker; he was among those who accosted Chava, backing off only when Fyedka shooed them all away. The Rabbi's son's name is Mendel,

Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:40 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Towards the end.. when they're packing.. Tevye said... "C'mon children, we have a plane to catch!"

Motel said "From now on... all of our clothes will be made by hand!" And Tzeitel deadpanned. "They will?"

When Motel drank the wine at the wedding.. he spilled it all down his shirt.

Our Fiddler fell off the roof. XD

Fruma Sara got stuck in the rafters.

Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:45 am
Profile YIM WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The night my friend (who had been in two different productions of Fiddler) came to see the show, our Fruma Sara almost hit her head on the lights because her bottom part (we had another actor hold her up) got confused about where he was going.

Then, there was an laundry issue during previews when the dryer decided not to work.

Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:49 pm

The night my friend (who had been in two different productions of Fiddler) came to see the show, our Fruma Sara almost hit her head on the lights because her bottom part (we had another actor hold her up) got confused about where he was going.

Then, there was an laundry issue during previews when the dryer decided not to work.

We had a laundry issue, too. Our costumer had some issues with the production and quit, taking her crew with her. It was just a college production so there were no dressers or anything to maintain our costumes; all mending and such would previously have been up to that crew. One of the ladies in the cast decided to be nice and wash everyone's costumes after the first week of the run. We were all pretty grateful until she accidentally put a wine-colored garment in with the whites. We Papas all had to do the final two weeks of the show in prayer shawls effectively dyed a very pale pink.

Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:37 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer

Our Fiddler fell off the roof. XD

BAHAHHAHAHAHHAA!! love it

Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:38 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Ulla Dance Again! wrote:

We had a laundry issue, too. Our costumer had some issues with the production and quit, taking her crew with her. It was just a college production so there were no dressers or anything to maintain our costumes; all mending and such would previously have been up to that crew. One of the ladies in the cast decided to be nice and wash everyone's costumes after the first week of the run. We were all pretty grateful until she accidentally put a wine-colored garment in with the whites. We Papas all had to do the final two weeks of the show in prayer shawls effectively dyed a very pale pink.

That's a very easy mistake to make - a similar thing happened in our production where some of the white shirts they boys wore underneath their costumes got mixed in with a pink or salmon colored garment and some of the shirts were light pink. But you could barely tell unless you held them up to the light.

But the prayer shawls I'd imagine to be considerably more noticable.

Some other things that happened during the four week run:

- Our Mendel injuring his hand and having it in a cast for the majority of the run. (Oh yes, the wardrobe crew really loved making a modern day cast look like a period bandage).
- Me almost missing Fyedka's quickchange from "Dream Jew" to Russian because my supervisor had written down the incorrect side of the stage where the change would take place. (When I asked my actor he thought it was correct so I didn't realise the mistake until 30 seconds or so before he had to be onstage). We literally ran to the crossover and we were throwing clothes on for Jesus.
- My supervisor nearly missing a show because he had been sleeping. Fun times.

Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:32 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I'm currently in FotR for my sixth time this year, and of all of the mess ups and goofs we've had.... I've compiled my favorites!

1. Two years ago when I played Chava, during the wedding scene Kathrine, who was playing Hodel, ripped her dress on the last performance... everyone got quiet, and just sort of stared for a moment... when the girl playing Hodel said very settle to the girl playing Tzeitel, "I'm glad you're marrying a tailor!" The audience burst into laughter.

2. Last year out fiddler fell off the roof as well.

3. Last year, during our last rehersal, the girl playing Chava expressed to us how Chava was jelous of Hodel and Tzeitel, and tried to explain how Fyedka was rather too borning. Got us all laughing!

4. My first year: I played Bielke. The person next to me went the wrong direction during "Tradition", acadentally pushing me off of the stage....

5. Golde sat in some spilled water in the dressing room. We tried to dry it off for her, but not all of it was dry, so she went on stage, and it looked like she had peed herself, so we decided that Chava would hover over her until the spot dried during "Do you Love Me?"

The Secret Garden- Mary (MPT)
Mamma Mia!- Sophie (ADA)

Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:52 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

2. Last year out fiddler fell off the roof as well

I just lol'd at that one...I can see it now!

"A Fiddler on the Roof? Crazy, no? But no where near as crazy as a fiddler NOT on the roof!"

Fraulein Schneider: Cabaret Forum Cast 08!
Now: Elizabeth Bennett in Pride & Prejudice

Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:56 pm

Our Fiddler was a violinist in the orchestra who had agreed to go on in the role. She didn't rehearse much because, in an effort to be considerate of her time as a professional musician who was kind enough to volunteer, everything was staged so she would just have to be in her spot when the lights hit her and play that pretty music. We hit a snag when, two rehearsals till opening, she got in costume and went on for the first time, and was terrified to find what she was actually going to be on the roof. She assumed it was just an expression (and in truth, I have seen it done a few times where the fiddler never actually got on the roof), while the directors assumed she must know perfectly well that the fiddler on the roof would naturally be on the roof. To her credit, she did get up there and pull it off though.

Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next