The Resource For Musicals

Fiddler On the Roof Forum

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Disasters, Mistakes, Pranks, etc.? 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I had to do a photoshoot for the production I worked on. This was before they actually hired someone to pay the fiddler, so they needed a small person to climb on top of the roof and strike a "playing" pose while the two stars were below. It was incredibly scary climbing up on that roof, sitting on an angle, trying to hold a prop violin and make it look as though I were playing it. Sometimes they'd ask for me to move and I was too scared!

Sadly, I never got to see the pictures. I'm sure I appeared terrified.

Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:04 pm

This was just a few months after I had my infamous "flying onstage" ordeal. They hoisted me up, I sang through the number as quickly as I could pressure the orchestra into following me for, and got the hell down from there as fast as I could, after experiencing the growing dread for the entire second act. I really, REALLY respected that woman sucking it up and going up there when she hadn't been prepared for it, because I know it can be freaking scary.

Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:18 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I love these threads. :lol: I am cracking up.

Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:54 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

So some of you have had fiddlers fall off the roof, eh?

Before I met him, my college buddy Alan was in his high school production, doubling as the Fiddler and the Constable. Just as Tevye proclaimed, "Without our traditions, our lives would be as shaky as a fiddler on the roof!"...Alan's balance shifted a little too much.

Within seconds, the show's title was changed to Fiddler On The Ground.

Teyve had the presence of mind to catch the fiddle as it plummeted. Alan had the presence of mind to stagger up to Tevye, groan, "My fiddle, Reb Tevye?" and stagger off.

Given the line where it occurred, he could have been injecting some unintentional symbolism! He could have claimed he did it on purpose to show that the way of life in Anatevka is about to change...

Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:05 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

omg so this is so funny but not @ the same time.... WE had 2 hoist Tzietel up in a chair for the wedding, me and 2 other girls...the one girl had diabetes and her blood sugar was low so she fainted! then we almost dropped the poor girl on the chair but didnt.....after the show, she was like, "guys i almost piddled myself when she fainted." We laughed so hard! Yes, the girl who fainted was fine. Another thing is, I was standing in front of the house which was not
3 dimensional, the door didnt lead anywhere, just behind it. and all of a sudden the guy comes with this stand for the fiddler to sit on for anatevka saying, im gonna miss my cue!!! the guy whizzes by and alost hits me so i jump back and fall through the door :lol:

Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:17 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:18 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

So it was our very first rehearsal yesterday and we were doing a full blown read through (which took forever) but anyway we got to the seen where Tevye introduces Perchik to his family at Sabbath. the kid who is playing Perchik said his line "I'm a good teacher...a really good teacher" except he siad the last part in an accidental very creepy pervertish way and everyone couldn't stop laughing!! Even our director couldn't help it. Also the same kid went on to pronounce "Laban" as "LaBON". hilarious!

Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:34 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: Disasters, Mistakes, Pranks, etc.?
Here's a few from my school's production:
- The night before the production shots were going to be taken, Shprintze was hit in the eye with a hockey ball! All photos of her and Bielke had to be side on with them looking directly at each other.

- In a rehearsal Motel missed his cue so Golde and Yente were sitting at the kitchen table for a couple of minutes discussing potatoes!

- In the dream scene we had to spin the bed around and when we were rehearsing one of the wheels came off. We tried to stop but the director yelled at us to keep going...for the next 5 years I always smiled when I saw those deep grooves permanently scratched in the stage! At least we left our mark on the school!

- We had an extension attached to our normal stage for the production and it was quite slippery. In The Rumor we had to run across stage and form groups in a baseball diamond shape then switch groups for each verse. When I needed to be in the front group I ran across the stage, skidded on the extension, somehow ended up on my knees and slid (because of course I was wearing tights) right into position...very nearly could have ended up in the orchestra pit though!

- Also, in the Rumor scene on the final night, when I looked up at the 17 year old guy singing one of the verses, his fake beard had been done in tiny braids! Had great difficulty keeping a straight face!

Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:13 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Frankly, our production's disaster moments have been a lot less "quirky accident" and more ... actors cast in some parts being unable to sing on beat. There have been a couple of numbers that over last weekend's 3 shows managed to improve from "Utter Train Wreck" to "pretty off," but I guess that's an improvement.

My only really relateable moment of the type was during the sewing machine scene, I realized after it started that I didn't have a shirt to give to Fyedka.

Fyedka: I've come for my shirt.
Motel: It will be ready tomorrow.
Fyedka [eyes widen slightly]: All right.

and then the scene went on. With one fewer prop. Huzzah for ad libs.

Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:37 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Main Role: Performer
This thread is cracking me up :lol: :clap:
I start Fiddler in about two weeks so I'm sure I'll be posting a story or two!

Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3