The Resource For Musicals

Fiddler On the Roof Forum

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
what did you sing/what did you get 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post what did you sing/what did you get
anyone feel like sharing wghat audition songs they used?

I was rather silly at the time I auditioned for this show and picked a generic soprano uptempo that wasn't a real brilliant choice but it still got me Hodel - I sang "I Feel Pretty."

How about you all?

Mon May 28, 2007 8:40 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Fan
The first time I did the show we were asked to sing from it, I used Sunrise, Sunset, but was asked to sing Far From the Home I Love and Matchmaker. I was cast as Chava.

The second time I did it all we could use were tracks and I only had one: Home from BATB. Tzeitel was the only female role open so it wasn't the best choice but I got the role so I guess it didn't matter :D I also was asked to sing her part of Matchmaker, which I'm sure helped too!

~Annie

Tue May 29, 2007 11:05 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Men who are asked to sing a non-Fiddler audition song should try "Standing on the Corner (Watching All the Girls Go By)" from "The Most Happy Fella" (which does not have its own forum on this site).

Tue May 29, 2007 2:31 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Both times I was cast in fiddler (once as Hodel, but I didn't end up doing it...the second time as Chava which I'm doing soon) I used the song When I Look At You from The scarlet pimpernel.

Tue May 29, 2007 3:25 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

When I auditioned for Fiddler we had to sing songs from the show. (our directors like to do that) The boys had to sing "Tradition" The girls had to sing "matchmaker" I ended up getting the part of Shprintze. Probably not the most demanding part ever, but i still had an awesome time!

Thu May 31, 2007 5:08 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I just auditioned for Fiddler a few days ago- and therefore haven't heard if I have been casted or not.
But- we were asked to sing 2 songs, and one could be from fiddler. I am hoping for either Hodel or Chava, so I sang far from the home I love ( obvious Fiddler choice) and Many a new Day from Oklahoma, it showed off my voice, and it has a totally different mood than Far from the home I love, and therefore shows off different emotions. I also thought it kinda fit the character of Hodel because at the beginning she is pretty stubborn and likes her traditions, and does not want to listen to Perchik's ideas, so "Many a New Day" kidna shows off that stubborness.
I'll let you know if I get a part or not

OK_ just got a call from the director- and it seems like my song choices paid off- IM HODEL!

Last edited by mary_lion on Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 31, 2007 6:05 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Grade 8, I sang "O Canada", and got chorus. I was so bad, then.
Last summer, I sang "Far From the Home I Love" (it was a pretty casual audition, but still a dumb choice, I realise), and within the first five bars was completely cast as Fruma Sarah, or so I've been told. The director actually came up to me (he's my acting teacher) a week before auditions were even over, and said, "The MD wants you as Fruma. It's pretty well decided. Nobody else can sing that." I brag about that, but really, I wanted Hodel.

The Past:Interviewer #1, The Interview; Wanda, Unbeatable Harold; Mrs. Pearce, MFL; Fruma Sarah, Fiddler on the Roof
The Present: UVic Theatre Major
The Future: Crack-ho?

Thu May 31, 2007 11:08 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Main Role: Performer
If you were going for one of the daughters, you had to sing the beginning of Matchmaker. I was cast as Chava, and it has been my favorite role so far!xxx

Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:58 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I sang "matchmaker" and i got the part of grandmother tzidel

The Phantom Tollbooth- Tock

Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:52 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Yeah, it was a school production, so everyone had to sing the same thing--the girls sang a selection from "Matchmaker, Matchmaker," from "M, M, I'll bring the veil..." to "...as handsome as anything." The boys had to sing the end of "If I Were A Rich Man."

I realize it isn't very helpful to reply to this topic if it was one of those situations where everyone had to sing the same thing (or you had to sing a song from the show), but I got Golde. :)

:mrgreen:

Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:55 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I auditioned with Ave maria. and got mendel.

It was my very first show so yeah I didnt know what to do as a newb.

Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:07 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Everyone had to sing the section from Tradition that applied to them. So, I did, "And who does mama teach...etcetcetc"

I got called back and had to sing Matchmaker and FFTHIL.

I got Chava.

Sorry, not really a needed post. :P

Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next