The Resource For Musicals

Fiddler On the Roof Forum

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
What's with "Now I Have Everything"? 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I LOVE Motel's song... it is perhaps my favorite.
Can someone start a poll: what's your favorite Fiddler song? I would, but I wouldn't have a chance at remembering all of them.
The "out of a worthless lump of clay, God has made a man.. today" line is an important line, too.. showing that he has more self-confidence.

~rachel~

Does anyone know how the general L'Chaim song came to be? There's one that is the same song, except they've replaced things like "to Tzeital, my daughter.. my wife!" because that's not useful in other settings.

Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:50 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I like "Now I have Everything." The only thing that's a little awkward about it is the line that comes right before it (Hodel's "Perchik, what's the matter?") And the last note is a little strange too. In my school's show my brother is playing Perchik, and they ended up changing that last note anyway because he couldn't hit it comfortably. I think the song shows some insight into Perchik, because he does seem a extremely dedicated to his work, but the song shows that there is more to his life than that.

My least favorite song is "Anatevka." I understand the importance of it, and what it means, but the melody is just not good. Our cast has nicknamed it "The Zombie Song."

"Being a nerd pays off sometimes." ~Ken Jennings

Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:02 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Main Role: Performer
Post Re: What's with "Now I Have Everything"?
well.... when they were writing this Musical, they originally wrote Mirical or Miricals for Perchick, but they guy who was playing him didn't like the song and wanted a new song, (What a Diva). So they gave Miricals of Miricals to Motel and wrote a new song. But for the purpose of this show being so long, my director cut it out so I haven't really herd be sung live, so I cant talk about the note and quality of the song.
*Sorry for the spelling mistakes.

Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:45 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

I like Now I Have Everything..to a oint..I think the ending is rather trite..I much prefer..."Any Day Now' the song they wrote for Perchick in the film but wound up cut.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:55 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I have to say, I dislike NIHE a fair bit, and think it's a pretty weak song. It meanders tonally, has a weak lyrical structure compared to the other songs in the show, and the lyrics don't fit the character who delivers them. I know some people like it personally, but I think it was well-chosen for replacement in the movie version, even if the replacement got cut for time.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:26 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Rorgg wrote:
I have to say, I dislike NIHE a fair bit, and think it's a pretty weak song. It meanders tonally, has a weak lyrical structure compared to the other songs in the show, and the lyrics don't fit the character who delivers them. I know some people like it personally, but I think it was well-chosen for replacement in the movie version, even if the replacement got cut for time.

As I understand it, the replacement song was cut not so much for lack of time, but because Paul Michael Glaser (Perchik) couldn't sing, and Norman Jewison didn't want any ghost singers.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2