The Resource For Musicals

Fiddler On the Roof Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Motel Audition 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Motel Audition
What would be a good audition song for Motel?

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:16 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: Motel Audition
Apples2for10 wrote:
What would be a good audition song for Motel?

If the director wants a Fiddler number, Miracle of Miracles would be the obvious choice. If he wants non-Fiddler, a good bet might be Standing On The Corner (Watching All The Girls Go By) from The Most Happy Fella.

Equally important, if not more so, than singing is showing Motel's development as a person, from a shy nobody petrified at first of Tevye to a respected citizen in his own right. Leonard Frey in the movie is a good counter-example: he had a nervous laugh that he never shook free of, long after the character should have. IMO he was an unmitigated disaster, so bad that John Cleese couldn't have done worse! I can almost hear Cleese screeching Motel's make-or-break line "Even a poor tailor is entitled to some happiness!", maybe interjecting a "bloody", in the same tone I would expect to hear "This is an ex-parrot!" (an apt metaphor, BTW, for arranged marriages).

Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:13 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Motel Audition
I decided on "No One Has Ever Loved Me" from PASSION. Or if we get a shitty accompanist, my back-up is "Ma Belle Evangeline" from PRINCESS AND THE FROG.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]