The Resource For Musicals

Evita Forum

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Julie Covington 'Evita' 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Julie Covington 'Evita'
I've listened to mostly all the Evita recordings except this one. Is it worth purchasing or giving a listen to ? Also how is Julie Covington and everyone else in the recording ?

Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:37 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
Covington is weak compared to the sharp vitality of Patti LuPone and the wonderful nuances of FRlortence lacey.

anyone is better than Elaine Paige, but covinington comes a close 2nd in the worst catagory.

Colm Wilkinson is an adequate che. Paul jones an overly pop sounding peron.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:20 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The orchestrations are worse than the Broadway and 2006 London versions, the cast isn't really strong, and the only reasons I see to buy it is for "The Lady's Got Potential" and as a collectable.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:18 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Purchased the recording today and I have to say it is very good. Julie Covington is wonderful, she has a beautiful voice. I love how she sings Don't cry for me argentina, she puts so much emotion into it. Her Rainbow High is so fierce. Colm Wilkinson is ok, I don't like him very much except in les miserables. I think this is my new favorite Evita recording. My 2nd favorite has to be the Elena Roger recording

Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:06 pm
Profile WWW

Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:35 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I don't agree with anything of this. I can't decide which Eva Peron I prefer, LuPone's or Covington's.

But the reason why I like Covington, is that she puts so little emotion into it. She sounds like an ice queen. Which suites the role.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:55 am

Eva shouldnt be an Ice Queen. she is very emotioanl..she's also very cruel and very misguided. its not that she's heartless its that she's a horrible woman.

i just find covington weak all around. she's not even a good sarah in guys and dolls, never mind a decent eva.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:05 am
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan
Are you kidding me? Covington's "emotion" is actually just a strained, cracky voice. Every time I listen to that recording, I can't help but picture Ms. Covington laying on a cot in the recording studio and lazily singing away.

I forgive her for that though, cause it's a rather haphazardly put together concept album and I could imagine someone at the time thinking throughout the whole recording session, "WTF is this sh*t and who is this woman???"

I do like the recording though. A lot. Everything from Ms. Covington's sharp, shrill vocals to the insane orchestral orgy that is "Buenos Aires." It's like Evita on heroin.

It's interesting how Lloyd Webber and his co-orchestrator merge both symphonic and rock elements into the score. It doesn't always work and 'train wreck' immediately comes to mind but it's spectacularly self-indulgent some of the time.

I dig Covington's "Lament." Vocal inflection screams "Why won't this bitch die already?"

Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:40 pm

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Julie Covington's Eva Peron
Julie Covington's Eva is awesome. I think what Hans means is that she forces so little emotion onto the role. I think her performance is like a live electrical wire. The emotion is raw and her interpretation thrilling.

Sat May 01, 2010 12:55 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Julie Covington's Eva Peron
RainbowJude wrote:
Julie Covington's Eva is awesome. I think what Hans means is that she forces so little emotion onto the role. I think her performance is like a live electrical wire. The emotion is raw and her interpretation thrilling.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Sat May 01, 2010 1:40 am

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan
Oh, I know what he meant. A cold, calculating Eva certainly works and I am not saying she sucks due to the lack of emotion. But I am saying her Eva lacks energy at some points and sounds downright clueless and lazy at others. It sounds as if she was handed the material 5 min. before the recording session.

I'm not sure I want to give her credit for giving either "emotional" or stoic performances because it sounds to me as if she just threw herself into it without giving it much thought. I doubt she meant to play her coldly or meant to sound "emotional." It works by coincidence, imo. But whatever the case is, it works and that's why I dig the recording.

However, I do feel she would've kicked ass on stage and it's a pity she declined the role when it was offered to her.

Sat May 01, 2010 5:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]