The Resource For Musicals

Evita Forum

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Evita at the Stratford Festival 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
Alomost as good as the Mayerling Waltz, eh? :twisted:

We are a pair of very twisted girls, aren't we? :P

Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:01 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Parade
Main Role: Performer
Yes, yes we are. But who can blame us? There's not enough of that in real life, so we have to make do. :)

... Manuel Puig is probably turning in his grave (he's dead... right?) because of what I've made his book become... Together with Victor Hugo, they could power the world's houses with their rpm's.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:25 pm
Profile WWW

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto

But, yes, Victor Hugo and his other buddies who've had their great works of literature bastardized could power our whole planet and make fossil fuels obsolete! :lol:

Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:31 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

He wrote Kiss of the Spiderwoman, which in turn was made into a musical I would only go to see if the two principals were both substantially attractive enough to make the make-out/artistic fade to black scene at the end worth it.

And poor Victor Hugo with his revolutionaries (shakes head in sympathy). :twisted:

EDIT- reaffirmation: Anthony Crivello + Brent Carver= substantially attractive enough.

Pity, I wasn't even born when they were playing those roles...

Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:57 am
Profile WWW

And I take it Kiss was "significantly altered" during the adaptation process?

Maybe there's video of The Kiss on youtube... :wink:

I think most writers who've had their work adapted as a musical would be rolling in their graves (Hugo, Leroux, Bronte, Austen...although I think Jane Eyre was more accurate than most adaptations...)

I think the only author that was left in peace was DuMaurier, 'cause we all know that those Germans can't go wrong with a musical :wink: 8)

Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:08 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

According to my liner notes (and the program of the show that I bought on eBay), they had Manuel Puig on for the adaptation process, but ominously he apparently didn't understand the needs to be accounted for in a musical piece, and left.

I can assure you that the book doesn't have half-naked chorus boys in it...

Daphne DuMaurier would have laughed so hard to see it become a success on stage. She tried writing a straight play adaptation, but it didn't do as well as she thought.

Don't forget Charles Dickens. I think he's the most screwed over of them all!

EDIT- Here's what it says in my liner notes:
Quote:
Harold Prince brought Manuel Puig to New York City to meet with Kander and Ebb. Although Puig's insight and ideas were very useful, as a novelist he was not up to the unique demands of providing the book for a stage musical...

And in the program I have from the North American tour, it says that Puig encouraged the creators of the show to deviate from the original work, the play, the movie, etc.

Quote:
Puig did not intend this project to be a musicalisation of his novel, explains Mr Ebb. He wanted a whole new approach and resolution to the story. In the novel, Molina's and Valentin's motivations are ambiguous. Are they driven to affection or do they intend to exploit each other? Puig suggests that Molina is this Spider Woman, waving stories based on melodramatic movies which ultimately seduce Valentin...

...In the musical, Valentin calculatedly seduces Molina and manipulates him into performing a dangerous political act on his behalf. This interpretation of the story came directly from Puig, says Mr Ebb:

"It was a whole new way of approaching the seduction and the ending of the piece. He didn't think of that before."

There's a lot more in the program about Mr Puig's contributions. I say he doesn't roll in his grave (he died of gall bladder surgery before the show opened) either when this show is put on.

And to keep this thread on-topic (hehehe), the guy who played Molina in the NA tour is Juan Chioran, who is playing Juan Peron in this production of Evita. I win!

Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:21 am
Profile WWW

No shit! Chioran did Spiderwoman! Sweet...yes, you do win at life at this moment my friend XD And lol to the half-naked chorus boys. I should think that the Bible prophets were the only ones more screwed over than Dickens when it comes to Musical adaptations :wink:

Hey...you know what makes me ME win even more than you? A while back, I figured out that the production of Anything Goes that I saw at Stratford eons ago (6 or 7 years ago at least), not only had a former Toronto Christine as Grace (Elizabeth DeGrazia, I figured it out because she was the featured Chrisitne in the big book my mom bought when she and my dad saw the production in '98, with Peter Karrie supposedly) but Billy was played by the same actor who was Munkenstrap in the Cats movie. Booya! XD

Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:47 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Yep, those Bible prophets should have known!

All right, I bow down to your superior awesomeness... for now. 8)

Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:12 am
Profile WWW

Are we now going to be in a friendly rivalvry? :wink: If so, I think I'm still out ahead after 8ahem* Rent :lol:

Gah! Speaking of famous actors, I'm in agony over having Mandy Patinkin AND Patti freakin' LuPone so close to me yet not being able to see them. I already forked over money for Rent, And I need money to pay for my Go passes to school, so I can't really afford to push to see another show, not that I really have anyone to go with. It's not a musical, it's just a 2-man show. The only reason to go is for Patinkin and LuPone, and I doubt even my musical loving sister loves musicals enough to know who they are. >__<

Gah! It hurts :x

Alright...my rant is done. Sorry about that :P

Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:52 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

And wasn't the 2008 Phillie production the one with Hugh Panaro as Valjean? I'd go to Evita just to hunt him down and ask him about his time with Hugh :lol:

Yes, indeed. :D

Hugh, keep your risque comments to yourself, please.

As for sappy...well, pretty much every Marius I've seen has had some degree of sappiness...it's the nature of the role, I guess. I didn't see Josh when he was with the tour, but he must have shed some of the sappiness for Philly. He was much less sappy than most, despite the cutesy Romeo-and-Juliet staging of "A Heart Full of Love."

Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:40 am
Profile WWW

Didn't you say you liked the staging for AHFOL? Or was it someone else? I know someone talked about how cute it was that they had Marius reading from a note...

Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:24 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Didn't you say you liked the staging for AHFOL? Or was it someone else? I know someone talked about how cute it was that they had Marius reading from a note...

That might have been me. I did like it...I thought it had the potential to be very corn-syrupy sweet with the whole climbing-the-trellis-to-the-balcony business. But they pulled it off quite well and the part with the note had this adorable awkwardness to it. It got an "Awwwww" sort of chuckle from the audience, mainly because Josh was very endearing.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:07 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next