The Resource For Musicals

Evita Forum

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Patti's and Mandy's interpretations of Eva and Che 
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Post Patti's and Mandy's interpretations of Eva and Che
I'm thinking of getting the Evita OBCR (or Los Angeles? The one with Mandy and Patti). Would someone be able to tell me a bit about how the leads were portrayed for that album/production?

On the 2006 London recording, Eva (Elena Roger) sometimes sounds harsh/vivacious, but also often gentle/sympathetic. Che (Matt Rawle) is angry, openly cynical and sneering. I've never heard the Patti/Mandy version, but the Barnes & Noble samples sound as though the portrayals are almost the opposite: Patti Lupone's Eva is non-stop strong, confident, openly ambitious and proudly unsympathetic. Mandy Patinkin's Che sounds understated, soft and seemingly sweet.

Is that how they played the roles throughout the show/recording? How did it work? What kind of portrayal do you think works best for these roles? I like the idea of an Eva who at least seems sympathetic, so that you're never sure whether she's really not so bad or an absolute master manipulator. But I also like the idea of getting a complete recording. :-k

Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:55 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
Eva should be unsympathetic she was a viper and an opportunirst. Patti captures that perfectly. she is the fineset Eva, bar none.

Mandy is also the perfect che..he isnt sweet by anymeans he is more insinuous. sly,clever and for the most part rational.

add Bob Gunton's perferctly nuanced Peron to this and you have the best cast of the show period.

Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:49 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Eva should be unsympathetic she was a viper and an opportunirst. Patti captures that perfectly. she is the fineset Eva, bar none.

Mandy is also the perfect che..he isnt sweet by anymeans he is more insinuous. sly,clever and for the most part rational.

add Bob Gunton's perferctly nuanced Peron to this and you have the best cast of the show period.

I really have nothing to add to this. Patti Lupone's voice is exceptional and she brings out the character very well. Mandy Patinkin has a voice that can go from strong to so soft and sweet, it can make you cry. I have a recording of him singing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and it brings tears to my eyes every time. I remember him singing on Chicago Hope too during a couple of episodes. He was born to sing.

Now, if you want a tamed down version of Evita, buy the Madonna version. That, as far as I know, is the only one that has "You Must Love Me".

Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:36 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The revivals in London this past decade have included it, I believe.

Very tightly, very soon.
So wave one bachelor goodbye,
She'll be your bride- she'd rather die
Than have her daddy ossify
In my sordid saloon..."

Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:47 am
Profile WWW

Main Role: Performer

Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:56 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Eva should be unsympathetic she was a viper and an opportunirst

I'd agree with that except to add that it must also be clear why so many people loved her.

My favourite Evita recordings are the OBC and the original concept album. I rate the latter because you get Colm Wilkinson and Julie Covington, plus you get the insecticide subplot.

Kapow! Die! They don't stand a chance. =D>

Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:11 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I think that for the show, it is best to show the transition. She starts out as a fairly innocent girl with big ambitions, but slowly becomes more bitter and self absorbed as it goes on. She then breaks down completely when she is dieing because she can't emotionally cope with her loss of control on the situation.

Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]