The Resource For Musicals

Evita Forum

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Insecticide? 
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Post Insecticide?
On the original concept album, Che has some grand scheme for producing an insecticide, which Eva eventually dismisses... or something like that, I can't remember exactly. It was cut from the show. Does anyone know why it was there in the first place? I can't remember the details - I don't own the concept album - but it seemed really random and irrelevant.

Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:21 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
they lyrics to that whole sub plot were really inane. the reasomnn it was included was to show che's own pioneering spirit and his drive to get ahead.

Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:21 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

When I asked my teacher this, he had an interesting answer: "Because Tim Rice is an a**h**e."

The way he has of putting things...

It is an incredibly "clunky" symbol that doesn't really work and is way too obvious...typical Rice.

Ralph Devine in Mame
Admiral von Schreiber in The Sound of Music
Billy in An American Daughter

Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:41 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

It's there because the real Che was, at one point, attempting to develop and market an insecticide.

I find it LOLtastic and strange, and am glad they cut it because it's just that bit too weird. But I do appreciate the lulz from hearing Colm howling "OH MY INSECTICIIIIIIIIIDE!!!!"

Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:17 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Tim Rice has often been quoted as saying that he doesn't believe there's any subject that can't be set to music.

It's a laudable ambition. After all, who else would write a musical about chess?

So I applaud the intent of the insecticide subplot. Yes of course it's clunky and awkward, but he was still a relative novice when he wrote it.

It also adds another dimension to the show as it stops Che being too heroic - he has a personal motive for hating Evita. One of the themes of the show is that people are motivated by more than one thing at a time - Eva does seem to want to help her descamisdos but also is clearly in politics for her own gain as well. Che criticizes her and her husband for human rights abuses but might not have been so critical had he been able to get more out of the regime. There's a nice balance there which is lost when the subplot is removed.

Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:52 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

It's supposed to represent the suppression of capitalism--Che wanted to start a job in the capitalistic industry, and with the nationalization of the industries etc. the time and place was very unfriendly to capitalism. Just another political jab...but it is quite lulzy to hear the 'insecticide' line. :D

Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:41 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Team Starkid,Assassins,Elisabeth, Spring Awakening
Main Role: Performer
I'm really, really, really happy that they've cut it out the show. It just doesn't work.

Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:46 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

But no joy...

Lyrics to both versions though...

http://lyricwiki.org/Andrew_Lloyd_Webber:Evita_(1976)

1976 - http://lyricwiki.org/Andrew_Lloyd_Webbe ... _Potential

Film - http://lyricwiki.org/Andrew_Lloyd_Webbe ... lm_Version)

Fri May 15, 2009 6:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]