The Resource For Musicals

Evita Forum

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Evita with Julia Murney Review 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Evita with Julia Murney Review
So last night i went to this since it was only about an hour and a half away from me, well in traffic it took 3 hours. But anyways it was totally worth the drive. This was a fabulous production, definitely one of the best shows i've ever seen.

First of all while Julia Murney was the star of the show the rest of the cast was definitely equally as good. I absolutely loved Che. He was played by Eric Kunze who you may know from Les Mis, Miss Saigon, JCS tours, among other things. Anyways he was amazing. He had so much charisma and personality and a wonderful voice. I enjoyed him just as much if not more then Julia. He also had the perfect look for the part.

Peron was played by Scott Blanks who played the part in two national tours of Evita. He was really great too. I loved his voice, it was deep and perfect for peron.

The ensemble was really good too. I loved the rich people. The walked around all kind of as one bent over with their champagne glasses in the air. They were really funny. The soldier ensemble was pretty good too though they kind of looked like toy soldiers instead of actual soldiers. And they had these ridiculous sunglasses that were kind of distracting. The childrens ensemble was really cute and they were really good singers too.

Julia Murney was amazing. Her acting was perfect. Her singing was almost perfect but to be quite honests there were parts where i wasn't really feeling it. Mostly when she was belting really high. Like in "A New Argentina" when evita goes "He supports you, for he loves you, understands you, is one of you...." and son on. It's like when patti did there was so much power behind. When Julia did it i just didn't feel much power at all behind it. But that was the only thing that really bothered me. Most of her singing was spot on. And like i said her acting was superb. She really made the transition of Evita from poor peasant to powerful woman believable. I especially liked her towards the end as she was getting sicker, her emotion was perfect. It made me cry, and i rarely cry during shows.

It was a theater in the round but they did a perfect job of making sure you could see all the actors from the front. Like for don't cry for me argentina, Julia was on a rotating platform so it worked really well. They also had the actors in the aisle a lot which was really cool because it felt like the show was all around you. Also since the actors were in the aisle and i was pretty close to the aisle there were points where the actors were only a couple of feet away from me which was really really cool.

Overall it was an amazing show and it's too bad it only played for 6 days because more people should get a chance to see it. Well did anyone else see it? there's an audio floating around too now

Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:03 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

This all sounds great. I wish I could see it.

Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]