The Resource For Musicals

Evita Forum

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
National Tour 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

SeiryuuNoMiko wrote:
Since the tour is doing the 1977 Broadway version, You Must Love Me isn't included. However, The Art of the Possible is part of the song repertoire of the performance rather than The Lady's Got Potential in much earlier cast recordings and productions.

I'm confused. How can the songs replace eachother, unless there's a much longer version of "The Art of The Possible". I've only seen the movie by the way.

Having never seen the scene with The Lady's Got Potential on stage I can't be absolutely sure what I say is 100% accurate, but I think what happened was The Lady's Got Potential was cut and the scene was changed.

Why I think this happened may have been because The Lady's Got Potential just talked about too much stuff. It had Eva's rise as an actress, an unsuccessful coup, and Peron's quiet advancement right until the earthquake and concert. Well the coup is not really integral to the story and we already know Eva is going somewhere in the world from Goodnight and Thank you.

So the Art of the Possible introduces Peron and focuses on his fight with other officers for control of the government. The scene is done in a musical chairs like style so taking up time isn't a factor, and it also includes a few lines for Evita briefly on the side showing that she's a radio star so we know how she had the status to meet Peron at the concert.

The staging for The Art of the Possible is wonderful to watch on stage, but it wouldn't transfer onto the screen very well. Also the movie is more friendly to portray the material in The Lady's Got Potential. So putting two and two together that's how the movie included the earlier song rather than The Art of the Possible.

Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:30 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

"The nLady's Got Potential" is only on the concept recording of EVITA. It was never meant for the stage show. The film later resurrected the song, with better lyrics from Rice.

Andy.

JCS 2003 (Apostle/Swing)
IOLANTHE 2004 (Peer)
EVITA 2007 (Swing)
CANAJUN EH? (2007)
CHRISTMAS LOVE TRAIN (2007)

Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:43 am
Profile YIM WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I just saw the Tour last night. It was my first time seeing a live performance of the show. I was really blown away by the lighting and choreography, and thought Omar Cepero stole the show as Che. Malia Tippets was pretty good as Evita; I agree with an above comment that she overacted a few times, particularly the end. It was a bit ironic that I saw Philip Peterson (Peron) almost exactly one year ago on the same stage as Old Deut. in CATS. (I preferred him in that role over Peron).

Anyway, if you're considering seeing the tour, I'd recommend it.

Quote:
I found this particularly unrealistic. In the "Rainbow Tour" scene when Peron is suppose to have two little girls in identical dresses sitting on his knees, the tour has two swing actors in "adult-size" girl dresses. They were suppose to be the little girls, but they definitely did not look like little girls! I was struggling not to laugh out loud through the whole scene, and I completely understand their reasons for not having kids since they would only appear for that song, but it was still pretty ridiculous looking.

LOL, I had the exact same reaction. It was ridiculous. :lol: [/i]

Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:27 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

What sort of merchindice(sp?) do they sell at the show? is it the technicolor London Revival stuff or the plainer original stuff? What Items are for sale?

Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:18 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan
Darn it! I missed the Thousand Oaks engagement.

Just checked the tour itinerary and there aren't any other Southern California stops. I hope they extend the tour and add a few more CA dates.

Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:21 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

What sort of merchindice(sp?) do they sell at the show? is it the technicolor London Revival stuff or the plainer original stuff? What Items are for sale?

Anyone?

Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:13 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

There wasn't a merch table in Ottawa. I think they may not have been allowed to bring merch (if any) over the bprder.

Aftewr checking the Troika site, it doesn't appear to have any merchandise for this tour.

By the way, don't get this tour confused with the London revival. This one is a reproduction of what was seen in the 70's and 80's.

Andy.

JCS 2003 (Apostle/Swing)
IOLANTHE 2004 (Peer)
EVITA 2007 (Swing)
CANAJUN EH? (2007)
CHRISTMAS LOVE TRAIN (2007)

Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:35 am
Profile YIM WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I know its not the revival. I was just wondering if they used the same merchindice as the revival or the original. I had my eye on one of the shirts from the revival from reallyuseful.com and wanted to know if the sold the shirt at the tour too. Guess not because the productions are so different.

Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:50 am

Main Role: Fan
Darn it! I missed the Thousand Oaks engagement.

Just checked the tour itinerary and there aren't any other Southern California stops. I hope they extend the tour and add a few more CA dates.

It was a good show. See my post above.

Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:58 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Meanwhile in the U.K. the Bill Kenwright tour kicks off soon in Liverpool. I have mixed feelings about this...the last time I saw Evita on tour in the U.K., it was a replica of the original London production and starred Marti Webb as Eva. From what I've heard the new tour will not be a replica of either the original staging or the london revival - but given Kenwright's penchant for producing shows on a shoe-string budget....meh. We'll see.

Fri May 09, 2008 5:29 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Getting REALLY excited now. I see it at the end of the month.

Wed May 14, 2008 11:57 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next