National Tour 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post National Tour
Anyone seen the national tour?

Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:24 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I'm seeing it in Ottawa on Tuesday. 2nd row from the stage!

Andy.

JCS 2003 (Apostle/Swing)
IOLANTHE 2004 (Peer)
EVITA 2007 (Swing)
CANAJUN EH? (2007)
CHRISTMAS LOVE TRAIN (2007)

Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:36 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Just saw it tonight
The tour is in Bloomington right now, and I made a trip down to go see it. Overall it's fairly decent. The leading lady has a beautiful, younger sounding voice, which I think is very suitable and reflective of the role.

The staging is also quite interesting in that they use a projector and a big screen depict scenery or to show actual footage and images of Evita and Argentina during the 40s. They integrated the projector well.

However, some things that struck me as odd or "needs to be thought over again" is:

1. Che appears in the strangest of places. In the opening scene in Act 2 he speaks on, literally "on", the balcony and introduces Peron, but later in the scene he's with the crowd and getting beat up by the guards. This just confused me. I kept thinking "what is Che's position in the show?" until the very end, and I still don't have an answer.

2. From the end of "High Flying Adored" and "Rainbow High" they blacked out the stage to move a vanity set off and that just created a whole disconnect. I think it would've been better to continue the songs in one scene; better flow.

3. I found this particularly unrealistic. In the "Rainbow Tour" scene when Peron is suppose to have two little girls in identical dresses sitting on his knees, the tour has two swing actors in "adult-size" girl dresses. They were suppose to be the little girls, but they definitely did not look like little girls! I was struggling not to laugh out loud through the whole scene, and I completely understand their reasons for not having kids since they would only appear for that song, but it was still pretty ridiculous looking.

Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:09 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Che, in the Hal Prince staging, is a person that narrates the story. He is supposed to keep a neutral point of view duriung the show, however he is against Eva more than for her. He is a crittic.
He introduces Peron on the balcony because nthat's what he wants you to pay attention to. He gets beat up later on in "A New Argentina" because he is playing a rebel at that point in the story. Him getting beat up also symbolizes how the Perons could/would bully people into voting for them or abstaining from it.

The reason why they use a blackout to move sets is because that's how Prince did it in the original version. He is recreating his vision from the 1977 Broadway production. Back then, they had to do that during shows. Having seen a bootleg of the OBC, I don't mind it and I don't think it detracts from the show itself.

"Rainbow Tour." OK. Eva is away on a European tour. Peron is alone at home. I think it's plausable that he would have cheated on Eva. The girls sitting on his knee are not meant to be children under 10 or whjatever you're thinking. He loved children 15 and up. He had a 16 year old mistress ("Another Suitcase"). Those girls might be 16 to 20 years old.

I can't wait to see this show.

Andy.

JCS 2003 (Apostle/Swing)
IOLANTHE 2004 (Peer)
EVITA 2007 (Swing)
CANAJUN EH? (2007)
CHRISTMAS LOVE TRAIN (2007)

Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:39 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

So, in responce to the "Rainbow Tour" comment, I was just in my high school's production of Evita, & I played one of Peron's "little girls" lol.
We did some research & Peron was actually a pedophile so...yeah.

We determined we would be about 14 years old. We both had these little frilly pink dresses & giant lollipops. It was pretty hilarious, especially since the guy playing Peron was my boyfriend lol :mrgreen:

[Ginger, you will shine out there. For someone so small, you have a huge personality. You know they cant take that away from you.]--B. LaReau

Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:06 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:17 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Thanks!
LittleRedLovesTheater wrote:
So, in responce to the "Rainbow Tour" comment, I was just in my high school's production of Evita, & I played one of Peron's "little girls" lol.
We did some research & Peron was actually a pedophile so...yeah.

We determined we would be about 14 years old. We both had these little frilly pink dresses & giant lollipops. It was pretty hilarious, especially since the guy playing Peron was my boyfriend lol :mrgreen:

That is really funny! :D

jcstar, thanks for the explanation. I see where I thought certain aspects were strange are actually part of the style from the original broadway version. It's sad that the tour doesn't include "You Must Love Me" like the 2006 London revival had, but I can't blame them for that since it's not part of the version they're doing. Overall the tour production is pretty decent and I recommend it to those who couldn't seen it in London.

Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:30 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I thought the tour did have You Must Love Me?

Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:02 pm

Main Role: Fan
Just saw the touring cast perfromance. It's the best staging I've seen since I first saw the show back in the 1980s. Che and Peron were particularly strong. We got the understudy for Evita and her performance was rather spotty. Her voice was not as strong as I expected, and she overacted in the closing moments of the play. The production values were good throughout and all the supporting cast did a good job.

Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:40 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I thought the tour did have You Must Love Me?

Unless we're talking about different tours, the current Troika production I saw did not include You Must Love Me.

You Must Love Me has only been added to the 2006 London Revival its debut in the movie.

Since the tour is doing the 1977 Broadway version, You Must Love Me isn't included. However, The Art of the Possible is part of the song repertoire of the performance rather than The Lady's Got Potential in much earlier cast recordings and productions.

Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:10 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Omg...
Andrew Lloyd Webber is the best! lol Im obsessed with his shows!

Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:57 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Since the tour is doing the 1977 Broadway version, You Must Love Me isn't included. However, The Art of the Possible is part of the song repertoire of the performance rather than The Lady's Got Potential in much earlier cast recordings and productions.

I'm confused. How can the songs replace eachother, unless there's a much longer version of "The Art of The Possible". I've only seen the movie by the way.

Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next