The Resource For Musicals

Evita Forum

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Don't Cry For Me, Argentina 

This is how I interpret it. It makes perfect sense to me.

"Don't Cry for Me, Argentina," by Tim Rice
"Don't Call out for Me, My Brothers and Sisters," by Beagle

It won't be easy, you'll think it strange
When I try to explain how I feel
That I still need your love after all that I've done
You won't believe me
All you will see is a girl you once knew
Although she's dressed up to the nines
At sixes and sevens with you

It will be difficult to explain my thoughts without looking like I'm condescending to you. You'll think I'm full of it, some ridiculous Cinderella story come true. But I'm still the same person I always was - you can still see the "old" me regardless of how well I may be able to clean up.

I had to let it happen, I had to change
Couldn't stay all my life down at heel
Looking out of the window, staying out of the sun
So I chose freedom
Running around, trying everything new
But nothing impressed me at all
I never expected it to

I couldn't allow myself to be limited by the lot that I was given in life. So I tried everything to find my place in the world. I went through a wild time for a while on my search for where I belong. But I guess I always knew that the glamour of celebrity life wouldn't have any real value.

Don't cry for me Argentina
The truth is I never left you
All through my wild days
My mad existence
I kept my promise
Don't keep your distance

Don't call out for me, my brothers and sisters, as though I don't understand you and am not thinking of you. I've always been just as you are now. Even though I've risen above my difficult past just as I dreamed of formerly, don't allow that to come between us.

And as for fortune, and as for fame
I never invited them in
Though it seemed to the world they were all I desired
They are illusions
They are not the solutions they promised to be
The answer was here all the time
I love you and hope you love me

It is not my intention to do be doing this for my own gain, to be a celebrity of some kind, even though it may look that way. All of that is vain and meaningless, it doesn't prove anything or solve any problems. What really matters are my roots - you. I love you and hope you won't think I've sold you out.

Don't cry for me Argentina
The truth is I never left you
All through my wild days
My mad existence
I kept my promise
Don't keep your distance

Don't call out for me, my brothers and sisters, as though I don't understand you and am not thinking of you. I've always been just as you are now. Even though I've risen above my difficult past just as I dreamed of formerly, don't allow that to come between us.

Have I said too much?
There's nothing more I can think of to say to you.
But all you have to do is look at me
To know that every word is true.

Am I just rambling on and on? I guess I've said my peace. And you only have to look at my past to know that I sincerely care about you.

Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:09 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I see it as a woman trying to endear herself to the people. Kissing their feet in a way, trying to convince them that she is just like them.

Yes, and I see the line "Don't cry for me, Argentina" sort of a plea "don't feel sorry for me" but she's really saying "please feel sorry for me!!"

The way I see the whole lyrics is that she's trying to explain her actions to the people without apologizing for anything, in a false "I never asked for this to happen to me! I just had to be me!" sort of way.

Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:18 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

This is how I interpret it. It makes perfect sense to me.

"Don't Call out for Me, My Brothers and Sisters," by Beagle

It will be difficult to explain my thoughts without looking like I'm condescending to you. You'll think I'm full of it, some ridiculous Cinderella story come true. But I'm still the same person I always was - you can still see the "old" me regardless of how well I may be able to clean up.

I couldn't allow myself to be limited by the lot that I was given in life. So I tried everything to find my place in the world. I went through a wild time for a while on my search for where I belong. But I guess I always knew that the glamour of celebrity life wouldn't have any real value.

It is not my intention to do be doing this for my own gain, to be a celebrity of some kind, even though it may look that way. All of that is vain and meaningless, it doesn't prove anything or solve any problems. What really matters are my roots - you. I love you and hope you won't think I've sold you out.

Am I just rambling on and on? I guess I've said my peace. And you only have to look at my past to know that I sincerely care about you.

Ooooh, this one was nice - thanks for posting it.

MY COSTUME SITE: http://aneafiles.webs.com/
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:53 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan
I'm shocked most of you totally didn't get the song. I don't see how anyone could possibly be confused. Pretty self-explanatory.

Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2